Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

how diverse is your teen's circle of friends?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 4:50 AM
  • 23 Replies

We live in a very small, rural community.  However, my 17 year old has a very diverse circle of friends.

She is White, Japanese & Native-American.  She has friends that are White, Hispanic, Black, Bi-Racial.

She is straight.  She has friends who are gay, lesbian and bi.

She is Buddhist.  She has friends who are Atheist, Christian, Jewish.

She is liberal.  She has friends who are conservative and middle-of-the-road.

Do your teens hang out with kids of all backgrounds and beliefs?.....or do they mostly hang with kids who are similar to them?

Is it okay with you if your kids hang out with kids who hold opposing beliefs?.....live a different life style? 

by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 4:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Quoting queenanne

Do your teens hang out with kids of all backgrounds and beliefs?.....or do they mostly hang with kids who are similar to them? We live in a small rural area. My dd hangs out with kids who are similar to her. We don't have much diversity here. She does have friends who are white and some that are Hispanic. Religions vary as do political views among them.

Is it okay with you if your kids hang out with kids who hold opposing beliefs?.....live a different life style? It is fine with me, my dd can hang out with anyone she wants.

Angiebooboo
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:39 AM
My teens are very good with/out judging, so yes they do not use colors or any other belief, they have a mixture of friends. people are people you either like them or you don't.
OneMoreAngel
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:45 AM

My daughter Rachel has two best friends, one black and one asian. She is the mixed part of the group, since I am black and her father is white. They call their little club "BAM" for black, asian and mixed. I think its cute. Rachel has friends from very diverse backgrounds, since her own background is diverse. That is her on the right in the picture. Jenay is on the left, and Pee Jay is in the middle. 

litninbug
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:59 AM
My son hangs out with all races, religions and there are a good mix of them all in the town we live. My son's best friend is Mexican/Indian mixed, he has an Asain friend and a black friend and they all stick together.
momofne
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Same here. I have always taught them that race etc. doesn't matter.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

My teens are very good with/out judging, so yes they do not use colors or any other belief, they have a mixture of friends. people are people you either like them or you don't.

cara124
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Quoting momofne:

Same here. I have always taught them that race etc. doesn't matter.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

same here....i taught them it the person within that matters the most....no what you see on the outside....and they have a very mix group of friends.....

queenanne
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I'm so happy to see that our kids don't limit themselves by choosing only friends who are similar.

We are raising the future.  It is so important to raise our kids to have open minds and open hearts.

queenanne
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I love this picture and I love "BAM"!!!  That is awesome!

Quoting OneMoreAngel:

My daughter Rachel has two best friends, one black and one asian. She is the mixed part of the group, since I am black and her father is white. They call their little club "BAM" for black, asian and mixed. I think its cute. Rachel has friends from very diverse backgrounds, since her own background is diverse. That is her on the right in the picture. Jenay is on the left, and Pee Jay is in the middle. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Quoting queenanne:

I'm so happy to see that our kids don't limit themselves by choosing only friends who are similar.

We are raising the future.  It is so important to raise our kids to have open minds and open hearts.

I agree with you. I really hope my dd and my sons never think the way much of the older people think in our area. We are trying to raise them so they are open minded and with open hearts.

We live in a highly migrant area due to all the fruit farms and I really hate the nasty comments and ugliness that has been in this area for generations. I didn't grow up in this area but had some issues when we moved here since my maiden name is Spanish, I am mexican/native american on my dad's side. It is a shame that there is still so much intolerance based on skin color and race which in our area is mostly toward Latino/Hispanic populations.

softmelody
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM
I must say I never noticed.... but it wouldn't matter. I dont notice those things in others and my kids probably don't either. It's what people DO and how they do it that matter here. Are they respectful, are they honest. That said I must add they are probably all musicians of some sort or other.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)