Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how diverse is your teen's circle of friends?

Posted by   + Show Post

We live in a very small, rural community.  However, my 17 year old has a very diverse circle of friends.

She is White, Japanese & Native-American.  She has friends that are White, Hispanic, Black, Bi-Racial.

She is straight.  She has friends who are gay, lesbian and bi.

She is Buddhist.  She has friends who are Atheist, Christian, Jewish.

She is liberal.  She has friends who are conservative and middle-of-the-road.

Do your teens hang out with kids of all backgrounds and beliefs?.....or do they mostly hang with kids who are similar to them?

Is it okay with you if your kids hang out with kids who hold opposing beliefs?.....live a different life style? 

by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 4:50 AM
Replies (21-23):
jkirene
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Our community is pretty diverse, and my daughter's friends do reflect the diversity of the community. 

I think that when she looks at friends, the only thing she looks for in similarities are interests and humor. Her friends have given her a lot of different experiences such as bat mitzvahs, quinceaneras, different foods (eating at their homes), different languages, different beliefs. In return, she has also been able to share her background and heritage with them.

We are Christian and practice Christianity by attending a Lutheran church.  I want her to learn different religions and faiths because I want her to understand differences and not be ignorant when it comes to other beliefs.  I also want her to be open to others and try to find common ground with those who have different beliefs. It is important to us that we are respectful to others and their points of views. 

queenanne
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM

you rock

Quoting jkirene:

Our community is pretty diverse, and my daughter's friends do reflect the diversity of the community. 

I think that when she looks at friends, the only thing she looks for in similarities are interests and humor. Her friends have given her a lot of different experiences such as bat mitzvahs, quinceaneras, different foods (eating at their homes), different languages, different beliefs. In return, she has also been able to share her background and heritage with them.

We are Christian and practice Christianity by attending a Lutheran church.  I want her to learn different religions and faiths because I want her to understand differences and not be ignorant when it comes to other beliefs.  I also want her to be open to others and try to find common ground with those who have different beliefs. It is important to us that we are respectful to others and their points of views. 

queenanne
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Our small community is just starting to get a little more diversified.  It's a bummer not to be able to truly expose our kids to diversity in our everyday lives, so we can practice what we preach.  But......even so, my daughter has been able to find a pretty good mixture of friends.

When you say 540 kids, do you mean in her grade level or her whole school?  My daughter's class has about 47 kids in it.  The whole school, which is 7th-12th, has about 300 kids.

Quoting atlmom2:

Well, we live in Wisconsin which is not diverse at all, especially where we live. My dd had one African American kid in her class of 540 kids last year, and a few Hispanic and Asian kids. When we lived in Atlanta, more than half her close friends were African American or Hispanic. She misses the diversity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)