Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

The first boyfriend...and it's

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

NOT as bad as I thought it would be!!

I have dreaded my now 14 yr old getting to the point that she'd actually find a boy she liked for quite some time now. Boys have liked her for a couple years now but she always blows them off saying they aren't her "type".

So going on a month ago now I started hearing this one boys name A LOT and noticed she was texting A LOT with him which isn't abnormal she has a lot of guy friends but this was different.

Then she came home from hanging out at "the square" almost two weeks ago and she was babbling away about her BOYFRIEND! I was a little shocked at first but took it in stride and told her I wanted to me meet him so she should invite all the kids over for a pool party soon.  He and some of the other kids from their group came over the very next day to hang out. I was so happy to find this is such a nice boy, he's polite , kind and even spoke to both myself and my hubby without being all typical teenager. Since then they've been spending a lot of time back and forth at each others houses, his house riding the ATV's, ours out fishing or by the pool. I really thought I'd hate whatever boy my daughter dated but I really like this kid. My daughter hurt her knee on Friday and we had to take her to the ER on Sat it was very bad so she texted him to let him know and he asked if he could go with her.. of course I said yes. So I picked him up on the way and that boy sat with her thru the whole wait just keeping her company, it really was sweet of him.

So I'm living thru this boyfriend thing for the first time and don't even think I've had to worry about any extra gray hairs YET!  That will happen once he turns 16 in a few months (if they are still together) then he'll be driving and I'll start to worry.

by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Angiebooboo
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM
14 years old to me is puppy love, I feel that they are not old enough to have a boyfriend or girlfriend until they are dating age, which I have set for 16, so far it has worked for me with 4 kids and 2 to go.
NubianQueen03
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM
oh how sweet. My daughter is 13. A few boys call her from her school. These boys are from her class, her age for now.Waiting for high school gray hairs for me then.Good luck.
momofne
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Awwwww he sounds sweet : )

Michele975
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM
I'm a realist I can tell her no boyfriend until your XX age but that isn't going to truely stop anything. She could always have a boyfriend and just not tell me. I know I did it to my own mom growing up, she did the whole you can't date or have a boyfriend until xx age I remember having one in middle school and just fibbing about it and leaving out that the boyfriend would be at the same place I was be it friends or the movies etc. I would much rather my daughter opening talk to me about it and me have some control over it all then to have it be happening behind my back. The two of them are never alone, normaly the whole group of them goes back/forth between the houses it's summer there is a group of 9 kids that hang out together just about every day. The three of us parents who have stay home mom's are the houses of destination for the kids and all of the moms know that they are never alone at any of our houses. It's not a life long relationship that is starting but I can at least be happy that she picked a nice boy not some trashy kid with his pants around his thighs not his waist.
moeself
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Quoting Michele975:

I'm a realist I can tell her no boyfriend until your XX age but that isn't going to truely stop anything. She could always have a boyfriend and just not tell me. I know I did it to my own mom growing up, she did the whole you can't date or have a boyfriend until xx age I remember having one in middle school and just fibbing about it and leaving out that the boyfriend would be at the same place I was be it friends or the movies etc. I would much rather my daughter opening talk to me about it and me have some control over it all then to have it be happening behind my back. The two of them are never alone, normaly the whole group of them goes back/forth between the houses it's summer there is a group of 9 kids that hang out together just about every day. The three of us parents who have stay home mom's are the houses of destination for the kids and all of the moms know that they are never alone at any of our houses. It's not a life long relationship that is starting but I can at least be happy that she picked a nice boy not some trashy kid with his pants around his thighs not his waist.

I do have to agree , No matter if you think you know your own child and they would never go behind your back, well they will it's just the course of nature.  I would rather know and have some restrictions and chaperon guidlines than the sneaking around .

They start in JR high as young as 6th grade wanting and expermenting with puppy love, as a Long term sub for mostly JR and High school you see all kinds of things that happen in the hallway, bathrooms it would shock most parents! 

I hope that your Day Stays on Target 

Malynda

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Quoting Michele975:

I agree with you.

My dd was allowed to have boyfriends at that age she just wasn't allowed to date one on one until she was 16, she could go on group dates though.

jabs54
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I'm glad he's a nice guy and you like him :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)