Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Its always something

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

19 year old wanted to spend the night with her boyfriend, of one week, with some friends and friends parents at a lake house (we don't know anyone from Adam), on Monday night.  I met this guy for 2 minutes one night.  Dh has never met him.  She is already telling this guy she loves him every time they talk too. 

Dh said No, thank goodness.  She just refuses to see school as her top priority.  She makes mediocre grades and has 2 tests a week from Tuesday.  She has quizzes every Tuesday and hasn't studied much this week.  She works a double today.  We told her from week one of school, we were paying for it all but school has to be a priority.  She already failed and repeated one class.  She can't do it again or dh would withdrawl her from massage school.  She knows this.  She is almost halfway through  the 2 classes she is taking right now. She is free to move out, pay for school herself if she doesn't like our rules. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM

hugs momma I know  sometimes they don't take it serious enough until they are the ones paying.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM

It has to be hard when you have a teen who is legally an adult but I completely agree with you. Since she is living in your house, it has to be by your rules. Good luck I hope she sees how important her education is.

Angiebooboo
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM

But you got to love those teens, I have to point this out to my 18 year old to, just yesterday I had to tell him again WHY? I get tired of pointing out why this is not a good idea, You know what he said to me/ thats why you are my mom, to teach me the right directions in life! Like I always say there is never a dull moment when it comes to teens.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I lived at home till I was 23 and went by rules, SO I know what it is like.  I wouldn't have asked my parents this question at 19 because I would have already known the answer and wouldn't have bothered to even ask. 

KMO777
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Stick to your guns on this one.  She is living at home and needs to respect your house and your rules.  I know I had to.  Even at 22 when I came home from college I had a 1am curfew.  It sucked but I couldn't argue with them.  Good luck.

~Kelly

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM

It isn't like we are 110% against this.  She went last summer with her then boyfriend and his parents and his parents friends to a cabin for 6 nights.  They had like 15 people in one 3 bedroom cabin.  We knew her boyfriend and his parents well.  Actually, that was the beginning of the end.  They argued a lot on the trip and broke up a few weeks later. 

I have met this new guy for 5 minutes.  We don't know anything about him or his parents or anything.  Its been less than a week since they met!!!!!!!

KMO777
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Well if you're not totally against it, take the time to get to know the boy and his parents before she goes.  Not sure what you should do about the grades.  Kind of hard to say "if we let you go, you have to bring your grades up." 

~Kelly

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM

She would have to be dating him for months and months, not a week for us to let her go somewhere like that. 

She had been dating her other boyfriend almost a year when we let her go.  Even then we were not 100% for it but let her go.  We also knew she and her hold boyfriend were both virgins.  Now that she is 19, who knows what is going through her head about sex.  I want her to make good choices.  School, well, I don't think she will ever make good grades.  Its not her and she doesn't seem to care as much as we had hoped.  Her friends and work are top priority.  I think she thinks dh is kidding when we told her we would de enroll her from school with another F.  75 is passing in her school, 74 is an F!!!

Quoting KMO777:

Well if you're not totally against it, take the time to get to know the boy and his parents before she goes.  Not sure what you should do about the grades.  Kind of hard to say "if we let you go, you have to bring your grades up." 

~Kelly

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

MrsBLB
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM

hugs 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)