Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

...over protective mom...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM
  • 10 Replies

are you an overprotective mom,what makes you think you are and why?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBLB
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I don't think I am overprotective.  I encourage them to be themselves, and be responsible.  I give respect and trust because they have never given me reason not to.  I do worry a lot though. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 26, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I don't think I am an overprotective mom with my teen. I am much more with my sons but they are only 8 and 5.

SuperLooneyMom
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM

No...

bren_darlene
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I do not think that it is possible to be "overprotective" in this day and age. I imagine people who have lost their children or had horrible things happen to their children wish that they had been "overprotective".

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I was EXCESSIVELY overprotective when they were little.  I had been an abused child and a homeless teen and suffered from anxiety and post traumic stress disorder and was almost paralyzed with fear that something bad would happen to my kids too, I felt literally SICK from worry. 

I didn't want to stifle them or make them grow up afraid like I was and I knew I couldn't parent them the way I really believed was the best way if I stayed that way so I went to counseling for two years to learn to loosen up and still feel safe.  I AM SO GLAD I DID!

I am NOT AT ALL an overprotective parent now, I am protective yes, but not overly so. If my kids do get hurt in anyway I swear I suffer twice as badly as they even do,  but it does not stop me from letting them live FULL high quality lives and to encourage them to live their lives to the fullest.

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I have worked since he was little to not be overprotective. I want him to grow independent & responsible.

Michelle Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Teenager, Eagle Ranked Boy Scout, Venture Scout, USPSA Shooting & Scottish Drummer Parent!     Proud Navy Submarine Vets Wife! 

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM

good I did too as soon as I possibly could lol ; ) 

Quoting MichelleMc:

I have worked since he was little to not be overprotective. I want him to grow independent & responsible.

debbyp64
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM

My kids are 19 and 17, they spent most of thier lives with their dad,( some with me some without) who was SUPER over protective and drunk, nsty combo,( tried to take the kids but they did not want to go and the law wasnt helpng) When he finally hit rock bottom and they came to be with me all the time i dropped the wall and let them be themselves a little more. We had a coupleof rough years as they were figuring that out, but I think they are basically good kids and dont need much direction from me. especially now since they have been 14 i dont know a darn thing anyway..lol..

masastan
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I am not overprotective at all. But if my mom instinct is telling me something is a bad idea, my kids don't get to do it and they respect that because I am ALWAYS right. Their father hates that but my s/o loves it!

mama_k228
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I think I am a little.  but I'm working on her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)