Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Stretch marks in my pre-teen.

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

Help!!! My daughter is 12 years old and is already beginning to develop stretch marks. She has them on her breast and now beginning on  her hips. Even after having two children I never had this problem and was even told a lot of it is hereditary. Any suggestions and something I can do to maybe decrease this happening!?

by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

she's doing it because she's growing "fast"... have her use that cream/lotion and it will help them fade a bit.  nothing will stop them that I know of, just part of hitting puberty (growing)..

bamababe1975
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 2:41 PM

this is pretty much it - it really is hereditary

Quoting starlight1968:

she's doing it because she's growing "fast"... have her use that cream/lotion and it will help them fade a bit.  nothing will stop them that I know of, just part of hitting puberty (growing)..

pferg
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Mine has had them since about 12 too. My daughter. And that's what I was told too.  And she's not heavy either so it has to be fast growth. I don't have them either, never have.  

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Quoting starlight1968:

Yep, I have thin stretch marks in my knees from a growth spurt when I was a teen.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM

My 16 and 19 year old do not have any stretch marks.  I didn't think kids got them, LOL.  I didn't get any till I had a baby at 30. 

shell81
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I agree get her cream to put on so it don't get real bad and it can fade some. My son is 10 and he has them to me kinda bad. I need to get him some cream he is a little chunky though:(

~Shell~
Group Owner Of - Moms With Blended Families 
Group Owner Of - 
Tween Titans
Group Admin To - CafeMom Group Resource Center

Shellness
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Some people are just prone to them like that. My niece was that way too. By her some cream for that problem and see if it helps to stop  future ones.

jabs54
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Here is info...Stretch marks are a normal part of puberty for most girls and guys. When a person grows or gains weight really quickly (like during puberty), that person may get fine lines on the body called stretch marks. Stretch marks happen when the skin is pulled by rapid growth or stretching. Although the skin is usually fairly elastic, when it's overstretched, the normal production of collagen (the major protein that makes up the connective tissue in your skin) is disrupted. As a result, scars called stretch marks may form.

Over-the-counter stretch mark treatments are available but not particularly effective. Moisturizers can help with appearance and itchiness. Sunless tanning products can help mask stretch marks.

It's best to be in the care of a cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist. He or she can determine which treatment approach is best for you

jabs54
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I just wanted to add that I have a ton of them and my youngest dd got them when her breasts started growing.  She is "well endowed" and has so many sometimes they show when she wears a lower top.  I've done tons of research and used every OTC ointment and nothing has helped.

Jess0915
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM
I'm so sorry she has to deal with this! I have stretch marks from having babies but I had no idea teens/preteens could get them. I never got them, neither did my son or daughter. . .I've heard that scar cream works well, its kind of expensive, but I have a friend who swears by it. I use pure vitamin e oil in myself to prevent stretch marks (I'm pregnant). It helps, but you have to start before the marks show up. She could use it to stop more from showing up though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN