Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So glad my teen isn't like that

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:16 AM
  • 20 Replies

I'm not saying my teen is perfect, he has his pissy attitude days but listening to my neighbor's kid makes me realize my teen really is a good kid.

Everyday I hear that teen screaming at his parents.  He's rude and has a very nasty mouth.  I've actually heard him call his mom a in "Stop being such a bitch!"  They were in the front yard.  The mom just says "don't talk to me like that" then walks in the house.  When they do stand up to this boy, he goes in his room and screams for what seems like forever. 

I just can't imagine living through that everyday and thank my lucky stars my son isn't like that.  I still have two girls that aren't teens yet so my time may be coming but I really REALLY hope not!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Yes, you are lucky. Teens like that suck. I occasionally have one like that.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I feel sorry for your neighbor! I had a son, my oldest one who was VERY hard to raise, so I can sympathize with the neighbor. I still cannot be around him too much and that is SO hard. I love him very much. My son has issues bi-polar and needs to take meds. but he is 21 and its up to him. With his behavior, he just can't help himself sometimes, and he hates that about himself. Maybe the neighbor boy has problems and could need a visit to a physiatrist.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM

wow do you live close to me? the lady that lives across the street from me has to teenage sons and both those boys are a$$, i have heard and seen them stand out in front of their house screaming and calling their mother foul name, i want to feel sorry for her but then i am like do something thats not ok.....

by Susie on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Its because parents allow kids to be like that, probably at a young age. 

by Susie on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Also, if the parents act that way the kids might.  Our neighbor next door screams at his kids, outside, at the top of his lungs.  Not consantly, but I hear him a few times a year.  I know he is way worse in the house, because the daughter tells my dd. 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:38 AM

This sounds like my sons friend that lives one street over. It is BAD.... I am glad my son has not picked it up cause he would be knocked the F8ck out. His mom is the exact same way as you said above but she is trying now. They started counseling etc.

Wonder if you are her neighbor LOL

Group Owner Of ~  Tween Titans ~
Group Admin To ~ CafeMom Group Resource Center ~
Group Mod To ~
Moms With Teens ~
Join Us On  ~
The Park Bench ~

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

OMG... that's my teen. I didn't know that you were my neighbor.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

My teens can be trying at times but I am glad they have avoided that path so far!  I agree with you OP, I don't think I could handle my teens treating me like that and I really hope  that my younger 2 don't end up there!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Well I have a totally different perspective and I am not in ANY WAY trying to imply that this is the case for every disrespectful, mouthy, swearing and threatening teen... but it IS with some. I Know bc I was that teen. I would have literally killed my parents if I wasn't smart enough to know that I would get caught and put in prison and my parents and everyone who knew me knew that. They even had several locks put on their bedroom door.  I was beyond mouthy and foul and I was very violent.

My parents were very strict and everyone in the public eye were 100% positive (wrongly ) that they were model parents and upstanding good beautiful who did community work, went to church all the time and are very classy and sweet to others... what they saw was true but what was also true and that no one believed except ONE high school counselor who was my hero even though he couldnt help me...

was that my parents were also child abusers BEHIND closed doors, physically, emotionally and verbally since we can remember.

I was a beyond well behaved child until I turned 13 and all those years of abuse and hurt and injustice and anger built up and I was a lot taller than my mom my main abuser and then it was time for vengeance in my mind

PS big hugs to parents who are good parents and have mean teens, again I am not insinuating that all teens who are like that are abused.  but lets remember some are and have EVERY right to be mad.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Its because parents allow kids to be like that, probably at a young age. 

I do not swear or scream. I do not threaten violence. Misbehavior is punished. Counseling has been tried and is now refused. I've spent countless hours reading teen parenting books and on cafemom trying to get ideas for how to handle challenging teenager behaviors.

Yet my 14 y/o has left the house at midnight, has called me a fucking bitch, has screamed at me, has threatened to punch me, has actually come up behind me and bopped me on the back, has threatened suicide,  has written in marker on her wall in anger, has chipped away at the plaster on her wall in anger. She's at times having a very bad spell getting through her adolescence, and consequently so am I. Parenting her is not a picnic.

We have a 12 year old who would never dream of doing any of this. Same parents, two very different children.

If I only had the 12 year old I would be patting myself on the back for being such a fab parent. Which would be a crock. Just as much as it would be incorrect to think myself a terrible parent because of the outrageous behavior of my 14 year old.

The only thing worse than parenting an out of control teenager is being judged a bad parent by those who think it must be the parents' fault if a teen has behavior issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)