Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some needed advice about JobCorp and 17yr old son

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

He was sent to a oppurtunity center because of attendance issues and being places he was not suppose to. So last school year ended with him not going the last 1mnth and half , which of course caused him to have to go back and complete his time there. The agreement that we made back in June 10 when we went to JobCorp orientation because he said he wanted to do it,he was placed on the waiting list and was #25.He is now #1 and is suppose to leave 8/31/10 and he was suppose to go to the altenative school until his name came up. Well it has and now he is not wanting to go, because he says he wants to graduate from the high school. Found out he should have 18 credits right now and he only has 14. I just feel like he should atleast give it a chance and see he might just like it, also have a oppurtunity of getting High Schoo Diploma earlier. Just feel like I'm talking to a brick wall when I try and talk to him. Not to mention he will be 18 in Feb. 

Any Advice is needed.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyG1976
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I would let him go back to school but where I live jobcorp is bad really bad kids. the store I worked at used them arrests were made for stealing every week. then my little sis had some friends it all ended up on drugs and all in and out of jail. idk might just be where I live but jobcorps is no good here If is it good and you the mom know it is best for him then well for now you are still in charge and should send him if that is what you see fit .

Lovingit82975
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM

See I'm not sure because it is the JobCorp in San Marcos,Tx and I have heard good and bad. Also  have talked to people that use to work there and they have good and bad to say, but I keep hearing it is all about who you associate with. I'm afraid that if he get's involved with the wrong kids which he seems attracted to always it will be a very bad outcome. But also I scared if he stays here he will go back to his old ways and start not going to school or class.

Sometimes I wonder why I thought I could do all this alone.

Thanks for your insight.

shell81
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I don't know a whole whole lot about JobCorp so I can't say anything but good luck!

~Shell~
Group Owner Of ~  Tween Titans ~
Group Admin To ~ CafeMom Group Resource Center ~
Group Mod To ~
Moms With Teens ~
Join Us On  ~
The Park Bench ~

Lovingit82975
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Thanks I can use all the luck I can get.

ToraMay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:26 PM

IMO if he wants to graduate, I would go with it. Even if Job Corps is really good, I think he'll feel like he's accomplished something if he graduates from high school. If he can get in there and get the stuff done, then let him. Give him that chance.

Is there anyway you can offer him an incentive to help bolster him through the year?

MsBrassy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:28 PM

You should let your him go back to regular school and have him make up those missing credits by going to adult and taking ROP classes. That is how I caught up to all my credits when I was behind in high school and I graduated with my class. It felt good walking with your class to get the diploma. I want to say it had a lot do with the school staff, there were very supported of me, especially my counselor. Maybe if you talk to the school staff to help you out, especially his counselor, they should be able to help you out. As far as JobCorp is concern, I've heard many things about it...like if you really want to be there to learn you will or it can also be a party place for the students. Best of Luck for both of you.

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I wouldn't force him to go where he decided he doesnt want to go for two reasons at least.

One he is almost a legal adult and he should be making his own choices especially in big ones that affect how he lives his day to day life bc HE is the one who has to go wherever and live with it, not anyone else AND he should be dealing with the rewards and natural consequences of HIS choices too so he learns valuable life lessons that stick and go in way deeper than anything a parent or other adult can just verbally tell him.

Two, if you send a kid, especially that age against their will to a school they don't want to go to and even more so when they are already having attendance issues, I know if I was him I would just skip even more and rebel even harder to protest against being forced to go where I didnt want to be.

Lovingit82975
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM

We have done incentives with him before and he just at his own free will not to follow through. But this Job Corp thing was not my idea it was his from the get go.He decided to go and try and see what it all was about anf I told him if everything was not on the up and up he could always come home.

Momof5Teens67
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Yes I realize the job corp was his idea originally but it also sounds like he changed his mind so especially at his age I would just respect that choice for the reasons I shared with you in the earlier reply.

Not telling you what to do of course just sharing what we would do and why.

Quoting Lovingit82975:

We have done incentives with him before and he just at his own free will not to follow through. But this Job Corp thing was not my idea it was his from the get go.He decided to go and try and see what it all was about anf I told him if everything was not on the up and up he could always come home.

momofne
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I would hjave him go back and try to graduate. Is there night classes he could take?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)