Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

...what will do you if.....

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

....you find out that your teen is smoking already????????

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
llpalady
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:12 PM

well, mine were.  We had a long talk on all the risks to health, legal problems, and what would happen at home if they were caught doing it again.  We told them it is against the law, and that we are law abiding citizens, so we would have to call the police on them.  They would have to pay the fines and do the community service, or go to juvi.  My husband and I both used to smoke, so we talked through experience on the health problems.  We showed them thing on the internet from people smoking.  We also talked to them about ways to stop if they had addictions.  They swore they were not addicted and had only tried it a few times, but we told them if they ever became addicted we would get them the patch or gum or take them to the dr.  We dont want them to go through the struggles we did while we were smoking and we will do everything it takes to keep cigarettes and other tobacco out of thier lives.  We feel the same way about drugs and sex.  We are very open and honest with our kids and for the most part they are with us as well.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:15 PM

google throat cancer and have him read  about it and see the pictures. After which he will write me a letter convincing me why it's OK for him to smoke.

3girlsihave
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Make them eat the whole pack but they arent stupid enough to smoke cause they know how I am.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:32 PM

My 19 year old doesn't and I know my 16 year old doesn't.  IF they did I would ask them how they could do that while they see their grandpa who is dying and gasping for air using oxygen. 

shell81
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Google everything you can find about smoking and make them read it. I smoke and my kids better not... It is hard as hell to stop. I will beat their ass!

shell81
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Oh and it's not like you can stop them... They will find away they have to live and learn. NO I would not like it as I said above but teens will find away to do what they want.

MichelleMc
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I have talked to him for a long time. He knows that my Uncle died slow & PAINFULLY from Lung Cancer. He also knows that Great Nan had Emphysema & all it caused her.

He knows how addicting it can be. So I pray he doesn't start.

semazani
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:11 AM

Be one livid parent!  Luckily my kids all hate cigarette smoke at this point.  They will ask strangers not to smoke around them. 

loopycare
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Mine don't like smoking and neither do their friends.  I don't think it will be a problem for now, but if it happens we will talk about the health risks and try to get them to quit.  Once they're adults, I won't let them smoke around me or in my house.  I don't think they will.  They both think smoking is stupid because they see the health risks in their Aunt L and Uncle C.  Aunt L had to have a hysterectomy and because her lungs are in such bad shape, they couldn't do the surgery arthroscopically like they originally intended, but had to open her up the old fashioned way.

pjs111
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM

My kids hate smoke. I did a great job of telling  them really early how tacky it is , how expensive it is, how bad it smells on people's clothes, and how it kills them and makes evil people rich! They are 15 and 17, and an adult took out a butt at a party , and they wanted to leave because it was so awful to breathe!

I would just go over the most important points and then explain to him that you can't watch him now that he is older and if he makes life threatening choices at this age, it will be his problem to live the health risks all his life. Not yours. Is he trying to fit in with someone who is challenging him? Do a little digging. Compliment him, tell him he is smart and why did he chose this behavior. Don't allow it near you or your house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)