Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think a teacher should be able to do this? More info. added

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:18 PM
  • 87 Replies

"Any student who misses class, for whatever reason, must make up the time and/or Lab with [teacher's name] between the hours of 7:30 am and 8:25 am, or 2:45 pm and 3:30 pm. Make-up time must be scheduled with [teacher's namme] prior to the say the make-up will occur. Any amount of time, 5 minutes to 45 minutes, can be scheduled till the total time needed is made up. All time must be made-up within one week of the missed day. NO WALK-INS ALLOWED! If you haven't scheduled ahead of time, please don't expect to be allowed to stay."

This is what my 11th grade daughter received from her one teacher today. I don't think it is right to do this if the student has a valid sickness excuse or a Dr. appointment that was scheduled. I do believe the work should be made up if it can be. If it is a one day lab, then the teacher should have alternative assignments. For those time periods of make-up parents will either have to take their child or pick the child up from school. There are students that live about an hour and a half from this school. Fortunately, we only live about 25 minutes away, but it's still a PITA to have to do!

What do you all think?

MORE INFO: I don't mind if she would have to make up a lab. I guess I can understand that may be needed at times. I don't understand just having to go in and make up the time. YES, my daughter will be missing alot of school because of a stomach problem. She usually misses 10 to 15 days a year over it and has a Dr. excuse. My daughter also has to have all 4 wisdom teeth cut out. How many days will she miss for that? [This procedure can't be done on a Friday so she will only miss a day or maybe 2. It must be a Monday or Tuesday due to the Dr.'s schedule.] This will be the third year my daughter has this teacher. Her rules have changed each year by getting more strict. My daughter will never go to college. She will be lucky if she even graduates. My daughter does have a reading disability and has an IEP and IST. She has 4 failed classes we have to pay for, and that she has to pass, before she will be allowed to graduate. [English 9, History 9 & 10 and Algebra 1] Pulling her out of school to get a full time job and then her GED at 18 is looking better and better. I wish I could home school her, but I am not confident enough to do it. I think I better add that I have a daughter that is a senior at this same school. I had no issues at all with her getting through these classes with the same teachers.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3mommy3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Personally, I don't see a problem with it...Especially on a HS level. Our schools have had such requirements for quite a while.

DavBryMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:26 PM
I would talk to the principle when/if this became an issue. I can understand the need to make up work and maybe this is the teachers way to keep kids from skipping class????? But if my child was sick, I would work with teacher... maybe lab time had to be made up in classroom but paperwork can be done at home. Just an idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz1220
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I think the teacher is wrong!!! If your daughter had an excuse she should have more time to make up the work. Tht happend to my son and I had to go to the school and I talked to the Dean and showed them te Dr's note and the teache h no choice and ny son got more time to make up his work.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:28 AM

We don't have a rule like that. We have a resource period that is built into the schedule. That is when students can make up work/a test/a quiz that was missed while they were out. They just have to set it up with the teacher and get a pass. They can also use study hall as long as it works for the teacher.

MichelleMc
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:02 AM

I see no problem with it. Too many parents act like it is acceptable to miss class time. Or kids are missing school at an alarming rate. It is their job & if they are missing classtime for an appt, they shouldn't just say, okay I missed & go back the next day. They missed all that teaching time. Same as if you are sick. You might get the assignment, but you missed the lesson that goes along with it.

semazani
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:08 AM

I don't see an issue with it.  I would think that a lot of the information the kid will learn through an experiment can't be taught nearly as well through an alternative assignment.  I give the teacher kuddos for giving the kids a week.  Our kids have to turn in the homework that was due the day they were sick within one day of returning...so they have to make-up all their classes in one day....that's a pita.

The timeframe can be touchy for some parents, but I would wage a guess that if there truly was no way for the student to stay that some other accomodations could be met...such as a lunch time/study hall make-up...though that would only work if the classroom was free that period as well.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM

I don't see any problem, the work needs to be made up, not if they can, but when.  Our school has a policy that make up work must be made up within 3 days of the absence if its one day, and within a week, if they are out several days. 

Most of our teachers have help sessions are before and after school also.  Some are during study halls but you have to have the right study hall to match with the teachers free period. 

pt33333
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM

I completely agree with policies that work must be made up within a few days of a missed class.  And I can understand lab time being actually made up so the student can do the lab.  But, I've never heard of having to "make up" a whole 45 minutes of the class time.  Some people who say the agree with the policy used the reasoning that the student would have missed out on the "teaching" that went on during that class, not just the work.  However, from the sound of the policy, it doesn't seem to me that that is what is happening during the make-up time.  Since it says that time can be made up in increments as small as 5 minutes, it sounds like the teacher is just making them come to the class to put in the time, not necessarily to do any actual teaching.  I don't think that's a good use of anyone's time.  What if all of the teachers insisted on a policy like this?  If a student is actually sick and misses a whole day or more, it's hard enough to make up all of that work in a short amount of time, there would not be enough time to make up the time for all of the classes.

I do agree that a lot of kids miss too much school outside of sick days (vacation, appointments, etc.)  I was surprised at the number of kids in my daughter's class last year that missed school for traveling.

jaderica
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Quoting 3mommy3:

Personally, I don't see a problem with it...Especially on a HS level. Our schools have had such requirements for quite a while.

yeah, ours too-  In some classes it doesn't make as much sense, but especially in a science class where the lesson is not necessarily repeatable outside of the classroom, this actually makes a lot of sense. But I would verify for sake of arguement if that wk starts the day that is missed or the day that the student returns to school as if they are ill for more than a day or two in a row that could cause a problem pretty quick. Otherwise I don't see why this would be an issue- my science teachers in High School had the same type of policy.

-Jaderica

sandie66
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:08 AM

She's preparing them for college and life. In college you get your credits by how many hours you attend. Normally a class is 40-44 hours so if you miss a day, you lose those hours. I see nothing wrong with it. I know my son gets out of school at 2:30 so if he needs to go to the doctor he would go after 2:30. And if he is sick I would expect him to make up all of his work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)