• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hope you can help me with this problem....

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM
  • 21 Replies

My son is 15 years old and just entered High school for the first time this year.  He is in special ed because of a learning disability - he has a very difficult time retaining information that he has learned or read.  Are there any exercise  that I can do help him with his memory or does anyone else have a child with this difficulty.  It is breaking my heart because he is struggling and his self confidenc has declined greatly.  Any help or advice or direction I can go will forever be appreciated.

Thanks you,
Damaris

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Have you ever taken him to see a behavior or Developmental Optomotrist? My son was found to have a vision problem that was overlooked. He had 20/20 vision, but that is just one of MANY aspects of the vision. Focus issues with the eyes cause MAJOR memory issues. Jonathan went thru Vision Therapy for 6 months & it was amazing the difference in learning, reading & Memory. Most all learning is learned thru the eyes. If the eyes don't focus right or can't hold focus right, or can't cross correctly, they can't learn the same or take longer. And it isn't something you can see by looking at their eyes, etc.

1 in every 4 kids will have a vision issue that will NOT be diagnosed because so many don't know about it. My cousin is now thought to have this same issue as my son but he was just lableled LD.

childrensvision.com please check that out. Look for a doctor in your area & PLEASE just go to even "check it off the list" so to speak. If you  have vision insurance, it will be covered. If not, they almost always work with you.

I will be thankful when we finally get to the point that all optomotrists will look for it & it is mando before kids enter school. I got my sons doctor to go to his old school, did an inservice ( all free ) so teachers were aware & could help direct kids that might need this type of help.

shell81
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I agree with the above and also has he ever been tested for ADD? Or do you think he has a paying attention prob?

My son is add and the boy can not rem what he just read. It is very hard for him.

shell81
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM

See if the school has any therapy too.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Have you talked to the school. A lot of times they can recommend tutors or counselors that can help with learning disabilities!

DamarisT
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM

My son used to wear glasses when he was in Elementary School and just a few years ago the doctor realized that he is color blind and did not need to wear glasses but I am defintiely going to have them look for anything and everything.  Thanks - MichelleMc

He was tested for ADD when he was younger and they didn't think he had it but I think I will have them look into it again and I already made an appt with the school psychologist.  Thanks - Shell81

taendrewsmom2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM

My son and I have this problem with Math and the math formulas. When my son was in second grade he was diagnosed with Math dyslexia. Who knew there was such a thing. He would get extra time and help with his math while in grade school but seemed to learn how to work with it as he got older. He graduated with a 3.89 GPA so I hope the same for your son!! I have noticed, even in college, a teacher has to get his attention right away or he zones out.

MichelleMc
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Quoting taendrewsmom2:

My son and I have this problem with Math and the math formulas. When my son was in second grade he was diagnosed with Math dyslexia. Who knew there was such a thing. He would get extra time and help with his math while in grade school but seemed to learn how to work with it as he got older. He graduated with a 3.89 GPA so I hope the same for your son!! I have noticed, even in college, a teacher has to get his attention right away or he zones out.

Yes it is called Dyscalculia. My son had the same, but the vision therapy helped him greatly & fast. They will learn to deal with it, but it helps if they can get vision therapy.

Michelle Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Teenager, Eagle Ranked Boy Scout, Venture Scout, USPSA Shooting & Scottish Drummer Parent!     Proud Navy Submarine Vets Wife! 

MichelleMc
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Quoting DamarisT:

My son used to wear glasses when he was in Elementary School and just a few years ago the doctor realized that he is color blind and did not need to wear glasses but I am defintiely going to have them look for anything and everything.  Thanks - MichelleMc

He was tested for ADD when he was younger and they didn't think he had it but I think I will have them look into it again and I already made an appt with the school psychologist.  Thanks - Shell81

Yes, please please look into it. Jonathan didn't need glasses either, but to learn. He wore bifocals with no other rx in them. He had 2020 vision but his eyes got tired trying to focus on their own. So the bifocals help.

Also, vision problems are often misdiagnosed as ADD because their eyes need to rest to they lose their place, stare off into space to get their eyes a break, can't stay on task, etc.

just remember there is an S on childrens.

http://www.childrensvision.com/

Michelle Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Teenager, Eagle Ranked Boy Scout, Venture Scout, USPSA Shooting & Scottish Drummer Parent!     Proud Navy Submarine Vets Wife! 

cdwilber
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Perhaps  your son is more of an auditory learner.  One of the children in my care  has been diagnosed with add as well.  I have found that if he reads the assignments (spelling words) etc, \while writing them down he remembers them better.

ask for an IEP meeting with the special education department.  PLEASE dont let him get to the point where he is so frustrated that he just shuts down.

MrsBLB
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)