Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How cold does it have to be to cancel school?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

Those that live where its cold, how cold does it have to be to cancel school.  Here is has to be about -15 regular temp and about -35 or more wind chill.  Both together.  Today is was -8 regular and -28 wind chill and no one cancelled except a few preschools.  2 years ago they missed 2 days due to the cold. 

In Atlanta if its 32 or colder they don't have outside recess.  It has be be around zero to not have outside recess here. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by Ida on Jan. 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Not sure it doesn't get cold enough to close them here

Christy78
by Member on Jan. 21, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Today my kids a a 2 hour delay

MaggotMom
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Where I come from they don't cancel school because of the cold. Ever. It could be 60 below and the kids would still go.

offrdngal
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

With the windchill it was -22dg this morning, the schoools only had a 2 hour delay.

sunny1961
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM

At 10 degrees or lower, they cancel here.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Our school doesn't close due to temps, only snowy/icy weather that cause bad driving conditions.

If it is below 32 the elementary school doesn't let the kids go outside for recess. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I think in Wisconsin they need to be better prepared.  I think cancelling when its -15 and when the wind chill is -35 is crazy.  I think they are wimps when it comes to temps. 

Quoting MaggotMom:

Where I come from they don't cancel school because of the cold. Ever. It could be 60 below and the kids would still go.

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

momofne
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I don't think they have a set temp and I really can't remeber them cancelling due to cold. I remember once when my boys were very young and they hadn't plowed our street after a big snow storm (couldn't even use the car to get through) so we had to walk out to the main road and wait for the bus. There was a wind chill of like -25 and I called the school and said no way, my kids were staying home.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM

We don't ever get cold enough to cancel only icy or snowy( both very rare) or hurricanes get cancellation.Though wimps we are when it is around 40 to 45 outside because outside P.E. is cancelled

shell81
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I think they should go to school even when it is cold,. they would have to go to work when it is cold:) So why not start young. They will be inside just like they would be inside if they were home so let them go and learn:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)