Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will This Change Your Diet Pop Consumption?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

Just as you were starting to feel virtuous for having switched from sugary sodas to low- or no-calorie substitutes, a new study comes along suggesting that diet sodas might be bad for your head and your heart.

The study, which followed more than 2,500 New Yorkers for nine or more years, found that people who drank diet soda every day had a 61 percent higher risk of vascular events, including stroke and heart attack, than those who completely eschewed the diet drinks, according to researchers who presented their results today at the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/health/Daily_diet_soda_tied_to_higher_heart_attack_risk-115659744.html#ixzz1DVBqPGwn

IF YOU ARE A DIET POP DRINKER... WILL THIS CHANGE YOUR CONSUMPTION HABITS OR NO?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunny1961
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM

No, but I only drink a Sprite Zero once in a while - it is all the coffee I drink (24/7) with Sweet N Low in it that has me wondering - but, no - I won't be giving that up either.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Probably not, but it's interesting to know.  I've been wanting to get off the soda for sometime now, but didn't know this information.

FlyHippie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Oooh...no. We don't consume aspartame at all. We also do not eat or drink anything with high fructose corn syrup.

missvickey
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:57 PM
I gave up soda pop nearly 30 years ago for health reasons. I was in my early teens and drank a lot of soda. One day I had such pain at the top of my stomach I couldn't breath and there was NO position that would alleviate it in the slightest. My mother rushed me to the hosp thinking I was having a heart attack. I was completely red faced when the Dr said it was GAS!! It was so painfull though I gave it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM

not really.I rarely drink soft drinks.I am a brewed iced tea lover.I do use a small amount of sweet and low and don't plan on giving that up.I drink plain sparkling water when I need a fizz fix.

specialwingz
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Basically, everything has been said to be bad for us at one time or another for one reason or another and then later said "well, after further study...maybe not so bad."  If I dropped everything they say is bad for me at any given time, I'd die of starvation and oxygen deprivation.  It's not like I eat and live totally unhealthy.  But, I also don't live my every day in fear I will die from something I ate, drank or breathed.

MaggotMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Diet soda is nasty, foul. I'm trying to get my husband off of it.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Quoting FlyHippie:

Oooh...no. We don't consume aspartame at all. We also do not eat or drink anything with high fructose corn syrup.

aspartame is known to give people MS symptoms.  My mother was having MS symptoms, so much that they tested her for it.  She stopped eating and drinking anything that had aspartame in it and the symptoms went away.  Crazy huh?

ame4c

SoniaL
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Same here.

Quoting FlyHippie:

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM
I don't drink diet soda and rarely drink regular soda. Plus artificial sweeteners give me headaches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)