Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bullying and weight issues

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM
  • 24 Replies

My daughter is 12 and battles with her weight. We have been to her doctor and seen a nutritionist and she is starting to lose some. There are kids t school that bully her and call her names. I have turned this in to the principal and also the teachers. She tells me when they get in trouble they do it more. I 'm going back to the principal tomorrow. Does anyone have any other ideas that I can do along with this?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberdy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I'm really not sure.  I was picked on a lot in school, just not for my weight.  It seemed like everytime I told on them, it did make it worse.  I wish I could help you. 

smdleigh
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM

wish i could help,i am going threw the same thing with my 12 year old son,he has always been picked on at school,I just got to the point where i told him they are just jealous,and to ignore them i knew it would be hard but he has gotten the hang of it.

But my younger son its much hardere he is very senstive to anyone talking bad about him or even looking at him funny.

I hope everything works out for you and your daughter.

FabDarling
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM

schools (most of them anyway) because of all the bullying and harassment  that has been happening with kids getting hurt/killed/or killing themselves......have a ZERO TOLLERANCE policy in effect.  legally they HAVE to punish kids for harrassing another student.
If they aren't doing this to a strong enough degree and these kids are really making your daughter that uncomfortable.....i would march up there.....demand the parents get called in and tell them in no uncertain terms that every person involved, their parents and the school for not handling it....will be on the lawsuit.  you can also go to the police station of one of them so much as lay a hand on her or say even one word of a sexual nature to her....and press formal harrassment charges.

good luck.................other peoples kis can really really suck sometimes.

LancesMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Its difficult when someone is picked on. All you and she can do is continue to report it.

bluelola
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Keep going back to the school and demand that their parents are called.  Most schools have a zero tolerance for any kind of bullying.  I would hate to be the parent of a child that was bullied and I would hate it as much if I was the parent of a bully!  Those parents need to be aware of what their kid is doing/saying to others.  Good luck to you and hang in there.

shell81
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I agree keep going back to the school and DEMAND something be done. HUGS my heart goes out to your dd. Just keep telling her how beautiful she is.Try finding something she is interested in to keep her busy!

juliX4
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Some children are more sensitive than others but in my experience the best thing to do is tell your dd to ignore it the best she can. Bullys look for a reaction, when they get that it encourages them to do more. When they get no reaction, they try for a little bit longer and then they eventually give up. Talk with your dd and tell her how sad it is that people have to act like that and tell her how you are proud that she doesnt act like that. Bullies also pick on the weaker ones regardless of size. The stronger you can help her be the better off she will be. You can never control other people, only yourself. They can only hurt her if she lets them. She can keep the power or she can give it to the bullies. Its her choice. However, there can be a point (physical attacks, threats etc) where you will need to step in.

My oldest was really picked on in jh and now that shes in college, I look back on that time and I am thankful. Because of those hard times she grew into a strong confident woman that I am very proud of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sandyr911
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM

My DD is different....not physically but mentally.  She has Aspergers which caused meltdowns and such when she was in 3-6th grades.  She still goes to school with the same damn kids.  Theyve been tormenting her since 3rd grade.

These ages are very hard for girls and especially with weight problems you NEED to make them enforce their bullying policies.  If going to the principal does not help call the superintendant.  This school prob hates me and will be glad when we move this summer but im not about to let these mean lil heathens torture my kid daily if i can put a stop to it. 

And kids can only ignore so much and mine has limited short term memory so she always forgets when they have been mean and wants friends so bad she keeps going back for more.  She REALLY cant protect herself so I do have to step in.

Novimomof3
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:00 AM
I agree with the other ladies about going as high up the ranks at the school. I also would do something to help empower my daughter. Put her in some form of karate. The inner and outer strength will help combat the negatives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofne
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I agree too and I think this is a great idea!

Quoting Novimomof3:

I agree with the other ladies about going as high up the ranks at the school. I also would do something to help empower my daughter. Put her in some form of karate. The inner and outer strength will help combat the negatives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)