Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

***Update See Reply 13*** She's having major surgery in 2 weeks **2nd update see reply 17 4/8/11**

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM
  • 21 Replies
On March 11th DD is having reconstructive foot surgery. She's so nervous (so am I). She had it done last summer on her other foot. I'm trying to make her last few weeks beforehand really fun. We flew down to Florida this weekend to visit my brother for his birthday. We went to the beach yesterday and today we're going to the mall. I'm trying to get her mind off of it.

She's most afraid of the IV, the moments before they bring her into the OR (she cried last time), the blood test done beforehand, and the stitches being taken out afterwards. She says those are the moments she has the most anxiety about. Anyone have any coping methods for her?

I'm nervous too. I'm not ready to do this again. Recovery time is 3-4 months. 6-8 weeks non weightbearing, and 18 physical therapy visits. *sigh*
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM

How old is she? 

If she doesn't have a laptop, I would try to get her one for when she in the non weight-bearing phase of recovery. 

You could also get her some good books or puzzle books to try to keep her busy.

I hope she has a speedy recovery and as little pain as possible.

Rachel.momof4
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM
She's 16. She got a laptop for her 16th birthday. Last time our church brought by a huge recovery basket full of games and candy. She says that's the only thing she's looking forward to(lol). Relatives sent books and stuff. She was given a barnes and noble gift card as well (she was a bit spoiled ;) ). She played a lot of backgammon. She figured out how to play Sodoku as well.

Quoting 02nana07:

How old is she? 

If she doesn't have a laptop, I would try to get her one for when she in the non weight-bearing phase of recovery. 

You could also get her some good books or puzzle books to try to keep her busy.

I hope she has a speedy recovery and as little pain as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I hope her surgery and recovery go smooth.  My dh and one of my dd's are freaks about IV's and blood test too.  My other dd and I could care less, piece of cake for us. 

Rachel.momof4
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM
She hates needles. I don't blame her. I won't get an epidural because I don't want an IV in my back. Last time they gave her the option of a spinal block, an IV in her hip to numb the leg, or a pain pump. She chose the pain pump because she didn't want another needle put in.

Quoting atlmom2:

I hope her surgery and recovery go smooth.  My dh and one of my dd's are freaks about IV's and blood test too.  My other dd and I could care less, piece of cake for us. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bearsjen
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

first let me say good luck to you both!

I panic at those same times so let her know her anxiety is normal. Sucky, but normal, and she isn't alone in that. I am a firm user and believer in deep breathing and visualization with self talk.

"This is ok, it will be over soon and I did it before so I can do it now."

"Breathe, breathe, breathe."

"mom is here and I have her love."

"I am strong and this is going to be fine."

best wishes!

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I have huge anxiety issues beofre surgery. My drs gave me meds to help sleep the night before. Something to take in the am.Also they put me to sleep Before I went into the OR.  Huge hugs momma. I hope and pray all goes well.please keep us updated.

rosebud727
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Wow, let me say she is a strong young lady. I guess because she has been through this already she knows what to expect and that is what makes it so hard.

I wish her the best, but maybe she can fastforward to summertime when she will be pretty much post surgery recovered. That is what helped me during surgeries. Looking toward the future.

Huge hugs to her and your family.

momcat437
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM

No real suggestions but I sure pray everything goes well!!

hugs

Rachel.momof4
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM
That's what makes it harder on me as well. I know how serious this is which just makes it worse. I (and so does she) know that if she accidentally steps on it or bumps it during the non-weightbearing period that it means she'll be back in the OR. I'm nervous about sending her to school like that. It's 2 weeks in a brace (until the stitches come out), 4-6 weeks in a cast, and 6 weeks in a walking boot. The first 2 weeks she's not going to school (it's spring break for 1 week anyways).

She knows the parts she hates the most. The stitches coming out were a huge deal for her last year. She only had 2 in last year. They used dissolvable stitches on the rest. She's really hoping they can use all dissolvable stitches.

Quoting rosebud727:

Wow, let me say she is a strong young lady. I guess because she has been through this already she knows what to expect and that is what makes it so hard.

I wish her the best, but maybe she can fastforward to summertime when she will be pretty much post surgery recovered. That is what helped me during surgeries. Looking toward the future.

Huge hugs to her and your family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bearsjen
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM

ok those are your fears....be strong for her and support her in HER fears.

The past is the past, and she is strong enough to handle all of this.

DEEP BREATHING.....and lots of love. (holds your hand) it's gonna be ok mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)