Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores in your house?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM
  • 12 Replies

I have 4 kids, but wide age ranges, and am trying to come up with ways to lighten my load a little, while getting all the kids involved in the home. I've attempted this many times, but it never worked. Either I got lax and let them slide, or the schedule conflicted or whatever.

What does the chore situation look like in your home? Who does what? How often, etc?

Jenn

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermom664
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM

The only set chores my boys have are cleaning their bathroom & bedroom, and take out the trash...in the summer months they clean the pool, they are 18 & 13...my 5 year old does very little

offrdngal
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM

they do the dishes, clean the cat boxes, clean their room and they do their own laundry.

4evamami
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM

My son takes out the trash

jo.smith
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM

During the school year, they keep their rooms and bathroom clean all the time, or should I say supposed to keep them clean.  They also are to clean the game room.  DS mows the yard and DS does the vacuuming.  The chores are to be done every week or they get their electronics taken away.  In the summer, they are expected to help more since they have more free time.  They each have to cook dinner one night a week, wash the cars, and help out with more of the daily chores.  They helped come up with the chores that they do and the punishment, which really helped them want to do it.  Also, we do sometimes start to get lax when things get crazy, but when things slow down I tell them that starting this week we are back on the chore bandwagon.

FlyHippie
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

My son takes out the trash, cleans the rabbit cage and does the cat box. He's in charge of his bedroom and bathroom.

We don't have a set time...what i'd REALLY LOVE is for him to be like "hey, the cat box needs to be done" and just do it. (Or whatever chore) rather than he sees it, yet I STILL have to say "hey, the trash you just threw in that FULL trash? um...wanna TAKE IT OUT?" because evidently you cannot see that things must be done when you're a teen? LOL

So it's not a SET thing...(Every monday we do THIS) it's more  of a...I want him to do things as they need to be DONE.

Maybe this will be accomplished by the time he's 37? LOL

ZBandMom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

My girls are 16 and 13 and they have been doing chores around the house for many years.  When they were young, I had a chore chart that showed things that they needed to do for each day of the week.  I started them out with simple things when they were 3 or 4 years old such as making their bed, picking up their toys, dusting, taking their dirty clothes to the laundry room.  As they got older I would add things to the list that I knew they were capable of doing. I eventually no longer needed the chore chart because the longer they did these things, they did them automatically instead of having to be told to do them.  Consistency helps a lot! 

Now that they are older, they still have their chores that they have to do such as cleaning their room, making their bed, unloading the dishwasher, taking out the trash, feeding their rabbits, and whatever else I would like for them to do. 

shell81
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Ours is not set. They do what I tell them to do LOL

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM

They take turns doing dishes and taking out the trash.Keep their rooms somewhat straight and their bathrooms straight.

luvthesoap
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM

My son is 16. He takes out the trash, cleans the litter box, cleans the dishes, and keep his room clean. Oh yea, he does his own laundry too. Sometimes I make him help me pass out Avon catalogs. ( but he HATES that!)

Betty in Ky

PosinourHarmony
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:24 PM

My twins are in charge of their rooms and their bathrooms. The help load and unload the dishwasher. They are in charge of keepin the game room in order. They even help (when I tell them to) their younger brother and sister clean their room. I mean they are only 2 and 3 but hey gotta start them early. In the summer they help their father cut the grass and they help clean the pool out. They help do a lil bit of everything around the house which is great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)