Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meditation: Who in this group does it?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am very interested in learning how to meditate.  Are there any certain things that you are supposed to do while meditating?  Is it something that I can start right away or is it something that I have to learn doing as I go along?  I WANT TO KNOW!!!  Please teach me your meditating ways!  Any help and explanation would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!  :)

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I do self hypnosis instead

Join us on the Moms with Teens Group!

GROUP MOD YVONNE

FlyHippie
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Ooooh YES!!!!! Try and focus....calm the monkey brain (thoughts swinging from thing to thing) You can either chant or not (not chant as in loud, but a meditative chant) 

Just sit still...calm...comfy...focus inward...hmmmmmmmmmm......

mom2aspclboy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I do, but it's with my Wii.  There's a meditation program on one of my games and how it works is you sit on the Wii Fit Board and there's a flame on the screen.  The object of the game is to be still, breathe evenly and keep the flame from flickering too much.  It kind of forces you to empty your mind of everything & focus only on balancing your body, controlling your breath and keeping that dang flame from burning you...lol.  Honestly, it's very relaxing.

sunny1961
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Every night, I light an incense - usually lavender or sandlewood, close my eyes and try to picture those that I have said (or thought to myself) that I would meditate for, and without asking anyone, thing, or god in particular, to send positive energies and heal the pain within them or their hearts. I also have several different kinds of gems and quarts that I will roll around in my hands - I don't know why I do either, I just know that I have been doing it for about a year now and it makes me feel good inside. Whether you can actually call this meditating, I don't know, but I don't plan on stopping - at least not as long as it feels good.

ZBandMom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Quoting FlyHippie:

Ooooh YES!!!!! Try and focus....calm the monkey brain (thoughts swinging from thing to thing) You can either chant or not (not chant as in loud, but a meditative chant) 

Just sit still...calm...comfy...focus inward...hmmmmmmmmmm......

Is it kind of like a focusing thing like I used while in labor having contractions?  You know, focusing on an object and doing the whole ''hee-hee-hee-hee, hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo'' breathing thing?  Why can't I think of what it's called?  LOL  Wow.  Talk about monkey brain.

ZBandMom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Quoting earthangel1967:

I do self hypnosis instead

Ooh, could you explain please?  Thanks! 

Sounds interesting.  Never really knew a person could hypnotize themselves. 

ZBandMom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Quoting mom2aspclboy:

I do, but it's with my Wii.  There's a meditation program on one of my games and how it works is you sit on the Wii Fit Board and there's a flame on the screen.  The object of the game is to be still, breathe evenly and keep the flame from flickering too much.  It kind of forces you to empty your mind of everything & focus only on balancing your body, controlling your breath and keeping that dang flame from burning you...lol.  Honestly, it's very relaxing.

Oh, that's neat.  It's just for the Wii Fit program?  I have a Wii but not a Wii Fit.  I wonder if there is something similar for regular Wii.

ZBandMom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Quoting sunny1961:

Every night, I light an incense - usually lavender or sandlewood, close my eyes and try to picture those that I have said (or thought to myself) that I would meditate for, and without asking anyone, thing, or god in particular, to send positive energies and heal the pain within them or their hearts. I also have several different kinds of gems and quarts that I will roll around in my hands - I don't know why I do either, I just know that I have been doing it for about a year now and it makes me feel good inside. Whether you can actually call this meditating, I don't know, but I don't plan on stopping - at least not as long as it feels good.

I don't know what you'd call it but it sounds very peaceful and relaxing, something I am trying to achieve.  I'm hoping it will help me with my sleep patterns.  I am WAY OFF! 

I like the idea of rolling a gem around in your hand.  It seems like it would be something on which you would stay focused. 

MaggotMom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I do. No certain things yu have to do while doing it. People do it all kinds of different ways. Sometimes I just turn on some music and put EOs in my bath and meditate in there, sometimes I meditate first thing in the morning while still lying down. Sometimes I just close my eyes at my desk and deep breathe for about 10 minutes. Depends on what I'm focusing on.

san3
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM

My children and I do. I start my day by sitting in the dark calm of my bedroom with eyes closed clearing my mind. Then I mentally list the things that I am lucky to have (my children, a husband that loves me, a home, food, a loving family, ect). I'm then ready to start my day. At night before bed we sit together in my bedroom in a circle. We all say something nice the others have done for them that day (could be as simple as Karl (9) saying James (14) let me read his book today.) This not only makes everyone want to do something nice for the other members of our family it also forces us to pay attention to the kindness that others show us. Before bed we close our eyes and clear our minds.  It's something we do just to relax and clear our minds from the small stresses of our daily lives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)