Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to go about this?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM
  • 18 Replies

We do not feel that because you get asked to the prom the guy should pay.  My dd did get ask by someone a couple weeks ago and he bought her $65 ticket.  I would like to pay the Mom back when we are taking pictures or at least offer. DD already told him she would pay before he bought it. 

Its different if you are dating even though we tried to pay my oldest ticket and her boyfriend's parents did pay anyway.  I just feel its SO much money know the guy should never be expected to pay just because you ask someone to the prom.  Could be a deterrent in guys asking girls because maybe they just can't afford to pay for 2 tickets in this day and age. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sandyr911
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I would offer but the parents may not take it....and what if the young man worked to pay for the ticket?  I mean if he chose to ask her to me that is normal for him to buy the ticket.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:29 AM

See I don't feel it should be the norm and dd said he doesn't work so his parents paid. I do know some girls BEG for a date just so the guy can pay and don't give a crap about the guy they are going with.  I mean my dd doesn't like this guy at all but she told him up front she doesn't like him.   

charlotsomtimes
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

See I don't feel it should be the norm and dd said he doesn't work so his parents paid. I do know some girls BEG for a date just so the guy can pay and don't give a crap about the guy they are going with.  I mean my dd doesn't like this guy at all but she told him up front she doesn't like him.   

Why go with someone you don't like?  

We are pretty much paying for my daughter to go. We bought both tickets and I will drive them and whatnot...his family is...not financially able to pay for much/any of it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

Why go with someone you don't like?  

We are pretty much paying for my daughter to go. We bought both tickets and I will drive them and whatnot...his family is...not financially able to pay for much/any of it.

She just told him they are JUST FRIENDS that is it. When my dd was in school a couple years ago it seems like they thought it was way more acceptable to go without dates.  NOW my dd's friends seem to think they HAVE TO have a date.  My oldest had the best time without a date than she did when she had a boyfriend.  One of my dd's friends has a dress and is not going because she has no date.  That is so stupid. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM

By the way, I couldn't stand my prom date!!!

PurpleHazey
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM

wow $65 thats alot.

jo.smith
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I think that offering to pay is a very nice gesture.  A lot of people go to prom with a friend, I think that it is probably more common to do that then to go with your BF/GF.  Under the circumstances you have, I am sure that the boy's parents would be very touched that you offered to pay ~ whether they take you up on that offer or not.

momofne
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I agree

Quoting jo.smith:

I think that offering to pay is a very nice gesture.  A lot of people go to prom with a friend, I think that it is probably more common to do that then to go with your BF/GF.  Under the circumstances you have, I am sure that the boy's parents would be very touched that you offered to pay ~ whether they take you up on that offer or not.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM

The tickets went up to $70 today until the day before prom.  The food usually sucks too so it is a lot to pay for a prom ticket. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

My son went 1 year with a girl that was a friend not his GF. He paid for her ticket,flowers, limo. He felt because she would be sppending money on dress & Girly things as he calls it.(hair nails) It was only fair of him to pay for her ticket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)