Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cell phones - Teen right or luxury

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM
  • 52 Replies

How many of you provide cells to your teens? Do they do anything to earn their cell phone? What type of circumstances do you take it away? If you don't give them one, how do you explain your choice to your teen?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberdy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM
All of my children have cell phones. They are 16, 13, 10 and 8. I think it is a luxury. They do not have to pay for them, but they do get them taken away often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Its a luxury for anyone.  No one HAS to have a cell phone.  Heck 15 years ago none of us had one.  I pay the bill after they reach HS and get a phone IF their grades stay good and they behave.  I take it away for bad grades and bad behavior.  Also at 9pm on school nights the phone is mine. 

sunny1961
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM

For my son, it is a luxury  - we pay for it - and we can, and do take it away when we feel he doesn't deserve to have it. When he gets a job and starts paying his own bill - it will be a right.

For my daughter, it is a right - she has a job - she pays her own bills. However, before she took over her payments - it was also a luxury! 

misskimi78
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

How old is your daughter that pays for her own bill?

Quoting sunny1961:

For my son, it is a luxury  - we pay for it - and we can, and do take it away when we feel he doesn't deserve to have it. When he gets a job and starts paying his own bill - it will be a right.

For my daughter, it is a right - she has a job - she pays her own bills. However, before she took over her payments - it was also a luxury! 

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I pay for them.They are a luxury and a privilege.I remove privileges when necessary including phones.I have allowed a phone to go to school when a kid has lost privileges.For a late practice called for a upcoming meet.I have handed the phone over as I pull up for morning carpool at school and taken it back immediately upon getting in the car.If they complain I extend the time and add a chore.Works great for us.

momto3infl
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Not yet.  Not till at least 16-17yrs of age.  She will have to work around the house for it.  Many rules too many to list for what would get it taken away.

starlight1968
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

to me they are a luxury.  My oldest had a pay as you go one that we loaded with min. so that she could call us to let us know when her practices (drill team) were done so we could come get her.  If she used those min. up on something else she was grounded and had to pay ME/get her own card till the time we re-loaded it. 

Youngest dd does not have one and will not get one unless she has a job/after-school activity that she needs to call us to come get her when done/over.

AmyG1976
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

with the lack of pay phones this day and age I would say a necessity. My kids get one back in the day my mom made sure I had my quater. My kids ages 8 and up (6 yr old does not have one he does though lol keep a spiderman play cell on the counter with the rest of the families cells)  all have one on our plan all have a free phone it costs me $10 a monrh to have them on it. no biggy. 15 yr old had one since she was idk 10sh NEVER once had an issue with bills or calling ppl at bad times ect ect. they know the rules just like if we had a house phone there is still rules. granted i dont really see my 8yr olds need lol she did just get it and takes it to her friends house that way she dont have to use there parents cells since most ppl I know anyway do not have land lines anymore.

sunny1961
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM

My daughter will be 18 in July - she has been working for two years now. She also buys her own clothes and her own personal hygiene items(her choice to do so), puts gas in her own car and pays for the upkeep and maintenance, and since she is staying with her grandmother right now (my father just recently died and she doesn't want her grandmother to be in the house alone yet) - she helps with food and household products. She is doing her senior year online so since she doesn't have to be "in class" at any particular time of the day - she can work up to 40 hours a week - which she normally does.

Quoting misskimi78:

Quoting sunny1961:

misskimi78
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Wow... your daughter sounds awesome... wanna trade? lol

Quoting sunny1961:

My daughter will be 18 in July - she has been working for two years now. She also buys her own clothes and her own personal hygiene items(her choice to do so), puts gas in her own car and pays for the upkeep and maintenance, and since she is staying with her grandmother right now (my father just recently died and she doesn't want her grandmother to be in the house alone yet) - she helps with food and household products. She is doing her senior year online so since she doesn't have to be "in class" at any particular time of the day - she can work up to 40 hours a week - which she normally does.

Quoting misskimi78:

Quoting sunny1961:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)