Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of your's......

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:21 PM
  • 39 Replies

Do any of your teens want to join the military?  If so, how do you feel about that?

american flag ribbon

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Derek has mentioned wanting to go into the military.  He's only 13 so I still have time to see if he really wants to, or if he changes his mind.  If he still wants to join, I'll support his decision, as it is his choice.

momtoabackc
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I only have one teen, and he doesn't seem to have an interest in the military.  However, if any of my children want to, I would not only support them, but would be extremely proud.  I was in the miliary, and couldn't be more proud, and would feel the same about my children joining.

amberdy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM
My 16 yo son plans on joining the Air Force after he graduates next year. My 10 yo ds wants to join the Navy. My 13 yo dd is contemplating joining the reserves to help with college.

My dh is in the Army, we fully support them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3angela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM

My oldest is Bridgette, 17, and she starts for basic in the Army in May.....where did the time go?  I totally support her wishes.  She will continue with college while in as well.  She graduated High School a yr early.

amberdy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Is she going active or reserves?

Quoting momof3angela:

My oldest is Bridgette, 17, and she starts for basic in the Army in May.....where did the time go?  I totally support her wishes.  She will continue with college while in as well.  She graduated High School a yr early.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3angela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Active..she signed up for 5 yrs.

Quoting amberdy:

Is she going active or reserves?

Quoting momof3angela:

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM

So far, none have mentioned it as an interest.  We have also tried to quietly discourage it by never laying it out as an option for what they will do after high school.  It is not something we want for them and are hoping that not laying it out as an option helps push them in the direction of simply going to college post high school.

jenstartingover
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I would completely support that decision!  One of my friends asked me how I would feel about it with everything going on right now and the amount of pride I would have in my child would be immeasurable!  A coworker of mine lost his son in Iraq (on his 12th day there) and while the pain was so unbearable for him I know how proud his was that his son gave the ultimate sacrifice.  My kids are only 13 and 11 and they know that they are either going to college, trade school, or the military after HS.  No options.

momof3angela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Quoting jenstartingover:

I would completely support that decision!  One of my friends asked me how I would feel about it with everything going on right now and the amount of pride I would have in my child would be immeasurable!  A coworker of mine lost his son in Iraq (on his 12th day there) and while the pain was so unbearable for him I know how proud his was that his son gave the ultimate sacrifice.  My kids are only 13 and 11 and they know that they are either going to college, trade school, or the military after HS.  No options.

I am so sorry for your friend's loss...it is always a possibility...and I know no matter what happens...I love my daughter and am so proud of her. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM

No. I support my girls whatever they want to do as long as its respectable.  If they were a stripper, no I wouldn't support that lifestyle.  My family has had many in the military including my Dad and stepdad in WWII and my uncle in Korea and Vietnam.  My dd has 2 friends that have gone in their Air Force.  Both of them girls. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)