Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dating teens

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hey moms! I was just curious about your thoughts on teen dating (My kids are in Grade 9) And how you deal with them going on dates and such...I was never nervous like this with my older girls but now I am always stressing out with the Quints.  Any tips or stories would be greatly appreciated! 

by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM
Mines in 9th grade too and I don't handle dating because he's not allowed to date until he's closer to 16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Mine started dating in 10th grade. But it was never "going out" it was more her coming to our house or him going to theirs. I was always home and made sure nothing was going on. I was told her dad was really strict but you just never know so I usually found an excuse and said she came come over here. =)

by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:09 AM

My oldest is in 9th grade also. We take him and his date to public places (a movie, bowling, mini golf, ect). I take them and pick them up. They are very aware that I will show up to check on them from time to time. Most of the time he goes out witha group. His current girlfriend is a problem child so they are only allowed to "date" at our house in family areas while we are home. There have been a few times I have taken them to the movies or we all go bowling together. They did go mini golfing with my niece and her boyfriend (but they are 25 years old).

I look at dating at 14-15 as practice for dating when they are 16 and have their own car. I can be near to teach him what is and is not appropriate. I expect my boys to act like gentlemen when they are on a date (even if their date can't handle acting like a lady). I want them to understand that they are never to put themselves in a position they might later regret. Now I just hold my breath and hope they remember some of it!

by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:45 AM

My twins both have girlfriends. My one twin has had one for bout a year now and they are 13. As long as you talk to your children and they are educated then I don't see anything wrong wit it. Gotta weed through all the bad ones ta find the good one. And this is the time ta do it....

by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

We taught our children the "how tos" of dating. By grade 9. They need to call her on Wed to see if she can date on fri or sat. They need to know where they are going, what time frame is, How they will get there and back. All this had to be approved by me. Usually I drove. Many date night were spent in my tv room or out in the backyard around the pool.Many nights before they could drive we double dated. Hubby and I them and GF. On date night they had to walk to the door, call for her, talk with the parents, reiterate the plans. After date walk her to the door and thank her. All while acting respectful.  If it was a date where I dropped them at another friends house. I called ahead of time and spoke with the parents making sure they Knew thier child was Hosting a party. that it  would be chaperoned and no alcohol served. I always offered to send a snack.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

by on May. 23, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Our kids started sort of dating in middle school by having their sweet heart over at OUR House and spend FAMILY time with all of us for dinners and dvds and games and if we went out as a family to the movies or dinner or mini golf or somewhere else fun we'd usually invite him or her. This made the young teens very happy but they were with us all the time and supervised so we were happy too.

As they got older by 9th grade they were allowed to date for real.

And in older middle school we'd let them go to movies or such with friends for example.

Join us on the Moms with Teens Group!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)