Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM
  • 21 Replies

you found out one of your teen's friend's parents were drug users/felons? What if the kid was a good kid and the parents werent obviously druggies, they hid it well and you didnt have any idea about it. You found out by accident and its not just rumor. How would you handle it?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoniaL
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM

The kid could come to my house but my kid would not be allowed over there or going anywhere w/ those parents in charge.

mariC67
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Even if your kid had been going there for years and how would you explain the sudden change in policy? would you tell him what you found out...up until now you thought they were good people

Quoting SoniaL:

The kid could come to my house but my kid would not be allowed over there or going anywhere w/ those parents in charge.

tyfry7496
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM
I wouldn't do anything unless I had solid proof. Limit my kids time there and have the friend at my house more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyndi
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I would def have a sit down convo with my  teen and explain the situation, how I feel about my teen being over there.

I would ask questions of my teen about how he/she feels knowing this about the parents.

However I would limit my teen over there and make arrangements for the friend to spend more time in my home. Even if it means I go pick the friend up and feed him/her dinner at my house several nights aweek just so my kid would beable to still see the friend.

As for the Felony part, if they served their time and are keeping their nose clean, I'd pretty much let it go but be watchful. However Drugs no-no in my book....

LancesMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I woul;d not let my child be alone with him at all costs.

PosinourHarmony
by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:39 AM

My twins have a friend whose parents are pill heads. As long as they ain't doing that crap in front of my kids then we are good. I let them go over there....it's limited but I let them go....

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I would allow my child to continue the friendship with restrictions. My son would not be allowed in thier home, to be driven by them, basically I wouldnt want my son around them. I would do my best to make that happen.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I don't want my girls over at houses where there is drug or excessive alcohol use (Pot) or any drugs.  Even my 20 year old knows I don't agree with that crap.  My girls can still be friends though. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

MaggotMom
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM

There are a lot of my son's friends whose parents use. It's a known fact. In fact, his best friend who is an all star player on the football team at his high school has a mother who's a known marijuana dealer!

I don't judge my kids' friends by their parents. I judge them by their own behaviors. The only thing I ask is that my son not be in their homes. They must come here. Which they do, and they prefer to......I would too, if I were them.

earthangel1967
by on May. 23, 2011 at 1:27 AM

My kids have had friends with drug using parents. My kids werent allowed to stay the night at their houses however I let those kids stay over at my house whenever they wanted even if at an inconvenience to me.  If they spent a lot of time here I was just glad they had a healthy place to escape to whenever they needed to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)