Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son was taken to the hospital

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM
  • 28 Replies

My son and his girlfriend were at Quiz-nos about ready to order when he suddenly felt sick and woozy. He immediately sat down but while his friend was getting the order she looked back and he had started to fall of his chair and passed out. They called the paramedics and she called me. Luckily it is not far from my house and they told me they were going to take him to the hospital because they couldn't get his blood pressure up. They thought he was extremely dehydrated but was refusing an IV. So after talking with him in the ambulance we finally convinced him (he's 18) to at least go to the hospital and then we would worry about the IV there.

Once we got there the nurse said he needed to get an IV ASAP and there was no other option because if he tried to eat or drink anything his body would reject it and he would just throw it up.

We ended up being there for 5 hours and after a bag of fluids they released him.

Please remind your kids to stay hydrated and not to skip meals!!

I think the combination of him not eating and getting enough fluids, it being so hot today and then us without air for the past few days took it's toll on him.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zboys
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I'm glad he's o.k. now.

earthangel1967
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:30 AM

awww poor guy. I am so sorry that happened and I am relieved to hear he is going to be ok. Thank you for sharing your personal experience to help other moms of teens too. HUGS

Wyndi
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM

OMGosh Karen, thats scary. We are buying extra bottle water and gatorade to keep the kids and DH hydrated when they have to be out and about.

So sorry he had to learn this lesson the hard way......

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I am so glad he is alright now.  Here in NM we take NO chances.  Thanks for the reminder for all of us.   

Becca_128
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM

I am glad he got hydrated and is ok. We are having a/c problems to and we have all been drinking lots of

water and taking cool showers.

sunny1961
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:51 AM

I am glad your son is okay. I know that can be scary. I have had to go through the same thing with Ashley a couple of times. Will keep you guys in my thoughts!

shell81
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:54 AM

How scary:( SO glad he is ok!!!

momofne
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I started to get real scared when the paramedics told me what his blood pressure was in the ambulance. I just got this really sick feeling in my stomach . then at the hospital he tried moving his arm with the IV (he's afraid of needles like his mom LOL) and he almost passed out again and all the alarms started to go off and I could see his pressure and hearet rate going crazy on the monitor. Scared the crap out of me!!!

Quoting shell81:

How scary:( SO glad he is ok!!!

momofne
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Thank you all for all the well wishes : )

charlotsomtimes
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Scary. Glad he's ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)