Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Sniffing or Huffing Gasoline Vapors...What Every Parent Should Know

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

This behavior is almost as old as the use of gasoline is in mainstream culture. Gasoline vapors, when inhaled, can trigger an intense hallucinogenic state. The person who inhaled the vapors may experience what feels

very much like being asleep and dreaming - while remaining fully awake and somewhat aware of his or her surroundings. Because the individual remains somewhat aware, breaking free from the hallucinogenic state is comparable to waking up from sleep. If they hear, feel, taste, smell, or even sense something in their close proximity - they can generally "snap" back into a somewhat dulled sense of reality. This intense hallucinogenic state generally only lasts a few minutes at a time, and the induction of oxygen back into the body helps to clear the effects faster.

Unlike other strong hallucinogenic inducing chemicals, gasoline vapors very rarely cause a "bad trip". This, coupled with the short term effects of the inhalant, make inhaling the vapors a very popular behavior for adolescents and teens. Gasoline is also readily available, and can be obtained for free - simply by taking the cap or lid off any gas tank - anywhere. Because the adolescent or teen is able to "snap out" of the effects of the drug almost as easily as waking up from sleep, the chances of getting caught are less. They need no paraphernalia of any kind, they need simply the ability to breathe, and access to gasoline.

by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
shell81
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Very scary...

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Quoting shell81:

Very scary...

I agree.

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Quoting shell81:

Very scary...

The 16 year old across the street was caught huffing gas, he was put into the hospital for a few days but he has been out for 4 days now, I don't want him anywhere around my house.

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting shell81:

Very scary...

I agree.

I seen what it does to a person first hand from the boy across the street, The man who was staying at the house across the street came over and got Marty because he said something is wrong with Donovan and he needs help because he is breaking up the house, my husband went over there and he was attacked, Marty grabbed him by the neck before realizing that he was grabbing a teen. My son Kyle grabbed Donavon and put him to the floor and he kicked kyle's $300 glasses right off his face so Austin jumped in and contained him until Donovan spit into Austins face, Austinis a germaphobic so he let go and ran to the shower. Man it was crazy we called the police and his Dad and his dad called his drug addict mother to come and get him and then she lied to the police and said that the guy staying at the house gave him whiskey and another neighbor stated to the police that he has been huffing "Gas" , I don't drink so I can smell and he was huffing gas. CRAZY!!!!

momof3angela
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting shell81:

Very scary...

I agree.

I seen what it does to a person first hand from the boy across the street, The man who was staying at the house across the street came over and got Marty because he said something is wrong with Donovan and he needs help because he is breaking up the house, my husband went over there and he was attacked, Marty grabbed him by the neck before realizing that he was grabbing a teen. My son Kyle grabbed Donavon and put him to the floor and he kicked kyle's $300 glasses right off his face so Austin jumped in and contained him until Donovan spit into Austins face, Austinis a germaphobic so he let go and ran to the shower. Man it was crazy we called the police and his Dad and his dad called his drug addict mother to come and get him and then she lied to the police and said that the guy staying at the house gave him whiskey and another neighbor stated to the police that he has been huffing "Gas" , I don't drink so I can smell and he was huffing gas. CRAZY!!!!

Oh my gosh....it is no joke...thanks for sharing this with us.

tyfry7496
by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM
Anything that us huffed can cause instant brain damage or death. Huffing is more dangerous than any other drug in the world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN