Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't they give a school supply list for High Schoolers???

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM
  • 25 Replies

I wish just once, when they give the kids their class schedule for the Fall Term they would include the teachers list of needed supplies.

I buy the basics Pens, Pencils, Erasers and loads of paper. I just wish they would let me know if I need 3 ring binders, pocket folders, calculators (graphing or scientific) and whatever else they will need. I hate trying to run around the 1st week of school trying to get everything when the shelves are picked over and most sales in my area are over......

If you’re not being treated with love and respect, check your "Price Tag" perhaps you have marked yourself down. It's "you" who tells people what your worth by what you accept. Get off the "Clearance Rack" and get behind the glass where they keep all the VALUABLES.. Bottom line is..VALUE yourself more! Repost if you like..you might help someone get off the CLEARANCE RACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I buy the basics for my dd then go out again to buy the specifics for each teacher.

Wyndi
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I buy the basics for my dd then go out again to buy the specifics for each teacher.

Thankfully, John's going to have some of the same teachers Christine had so I have an idea of what he'll need for those classes. And He has 2 classes that I already know the supplies he'll need since he's had the same classes the past 2 years ~ French (3) and Wood Tech (3) and with wood tech I just write a check through out the school year depending on the projects he does.

If you’re not being treated with love and respect, check your "Price Tag" perhaps you have marked yourself down. It's "you" who tells people what your worth by what you accept. Get off the "Clearance Rack" and get behind the glass where they keep all the VALUABLES.. Bottom line is..VALUE yourself more! Repost if you like..you might help someone get off the CLEARANCE RACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CometGirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM

I totally agree with you.  And it aggravates me that the teachers here expect the kids to have the supplies the following day after handing out the list.  How can I do that?  There isn't any place in our town to buy some of the items.

Wyndi
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Quoting CometGirl:

I totally agree with you.  And it aggravates me that the teachers here expect the kids to have the supplies the following day after handing out the list.  How can I do that?  There isn't any place in our town to buy some of the items.

What do they think we are, mind readers. If they want specifics, they need to give us a list so we can get the things over the summer.....  I have heard of teachers giving Detention for not having supplies~ One tried that with us right before we moved and I circumvented that by contacting the teacher and gave him a heads up.....

luckysevenwow
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Out here there are things that are a given..Pens, pencils, paper, dividers, highlighters, 3 ring binders for every class (my kids prefer it this way), spiral notebooks which I buy by the case cause they would go though these like toilet paper. This year I only have one in high school so hopefully I won't need as much but I will have to get for the one headed off to college. Let's see what alse....book covers are almost always a must, I know there is more but until I am in the isle it is hard to remember off the top of my head.

The thing that irks me is the teacher wanting it the next day. I live 20 miles from any store, it's not like I just run up the road and get it.

plclemo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Our school sends out a school supply list in early July.  Of course, it is a small private Christian school.  That probably makes a difference.  Although the public school teachers should already know what suppies the students will need IF they have taught the class before.  When I was teaching the only year I did not know what supplies my students would need was the first year.

Carmel63
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

My daughter won't even have her first semester schedule until late August.  We pick up the basics in advance, and then get the specifics after the first day of school.  We have a Staples five minutes from the house.

XtremeCheerMom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Our middle school is the same way as the high school...you get the list from each teacher the first day of school.  The only thing we get ahead of time is the supply list for CORE (reading, writing, social studies) and teachers usually just ask for kleenex, money to buy the necessary folders and supplies, and sometimes they'll ask for us to send certain supplies.  The rest of the classes we find out later.  My high schooler graduated but my youngest starts middle school so I have 7 more years of supply hell.

momof3angela
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM

It would make all those "extras" that you don't think about nice.  Having a list would be helpful. 

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM

For elementary and middle school we can pre-order school supplies through the PTO.We charge a couple of dollars more than the supplier charges us.We watch year to year and our price is in line with shopping at Target or other stores during the sales.This is just the initial needs ,so I still hit the stores to stock up on paper ,notebooks etc for the year.The school policy at all three schools on supplies is the kids get the list Mon. the first day and have till the next Monday to have everything.The kids are expected to have paper ,pens ,pencils and a binder the first week.

I would love to have the rest of the individual teacher supply list now.The first couple of days it is a zoo at our Target and Office Depot but we run into all our friends LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)