Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about Job Corp?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM
  • 8 Replies

As you may, or may not, know DDs BFF is basically living with us.  Shes pregnant, due in November and has decided to put the baby up for adoption.   Shes found a wonderful couple, friends of ours, who already have two little adopted girls and are open to Kyle being as involved in the babies life as she wants to be.  

Kyle has not done so well in school, her life has been pretty crazy and shes going to miss a big chunk of the fall when she has her baby.   Shes looking at going to Job Corp, doing the accelerated high school diploma track and then going through their culinary school program.   

All the PR stuff from job corp looks amazing, but I was wondering if anyone had real life experiance with any of their programs?  

Kyle will be 17, by the way. 

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM
FlyHippie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM

hmmm....I'm not sure at all about job corps. I've heard of it, but don't know anything...however; what a great kid. Sounds like she's really trying to do what's best!

supermom664
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Not personally but what I have heard about JobCorp wasn't good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

hmm someone else had a post a bit ago on it and it was mixed.  Some had really great experiences some didn't.  I think it mostly depends on the kiddo and how determined they are to excel.

charlotsomtimes
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I dunno how I feel about it- my daughters BF is looking at doing it as well, but after researching what I could find on it and reading through a forum full of comments from people who have gone throught it and whatnot-I think it depends on WHERE the one is she will go to, and how determined she is.   There were quite a few "horror stories" that I read-about fights and sexual things going on with staff members and such, and how they try to convince people to stay when they want to leave the program and such...so I'm torn on the whole thing- and we let the BF know that he should maybe look into it a bit more before deciding.  I also read some statistics about how much money people who have gone through it make vs people in their situations who don't and that sort of thing too

I don't know what the sites were-I didn't save them...but if you search you will find more info than the fluffy stuff on their site

In the end I guess it works well for some and not so much for others

Wyndi
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM

talk to Sunny1961. Her son is I believe going to the job corps this year

sunny1961
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM

No, my son was going to go into the Job Corp this fall, but only if I was able to get them to place him in the Pittsburgh facility - they have been giving me a run around because they want me to let them place him in a facility in Kentucky - sorry, not at sixteen - to a place I couldn't get to him in less than six hours if there is an emergency - of course, I realize it is a request that will take a battle, but at the moment he has decided to give it another year before going. So, we are on hold.

But to answer the OP's question - it can very well be a great experience if the girl is willing to be open to what they are trying to offer and teach her. There are certain things that many kids will have trouble excepting - like the fact that they have to earn points to be able to go home for the weekend and that they have to get up early - clean up after themselves - wear uniforms and more - but the whole idea of the JC is to prepare these kids for the real world, so I really think those kind of things are good It is definately worth her taking the time to go get more information.

~~~Barbara

.Holly.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/101187/forums/read/14392236/Anyone_here_have_experience_with_the_JOB_CORP

Here it is.

Quoting starlight1968:

hmm someone else had a post a bit ago on it and it was mixed.  Some had really great experiences some didn't.  I think it mostly depends on the kiddo and how determined they are to excel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)