Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time being punished.....

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM
  • 19 Replies

I have a 13 year old daughter that is a great kid, does well in school and has never been any trouble. But recently she was caught in a lie. So after talking to her dad we decided that one week without cell phone or internet for lying was going to be the punishment. So we went to talk to her and halfway through the conversation she broke down and stormed off.....her dad told her to get back here or it would be two weeks. She yelled "I don't care" and slammed her bedroom door. So now it's two weeks. Thing is, she's never acted like that before. I was shocked to see her reaction....... I was just wondering if there were other Mom's out there with the same age girls that could offer some support for what is the typical behavior for girls this age.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Hate to say it but the teenage years have just begun.  Sit down and hold on.  Its a bumpy ride at times.  Just remember be consistant with punishments.  My girls are 20 and 17!!!

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Ahhh the proverbial teen angst. I have boys but they have exhibited this side as well. Instead of the terrible two's you feel like it is the terrible teens. Puberty starts t kick in, hormones go over board, and the opposite sex suddenly is a lot more interesting. Kids get secretive and moody. The good news is that they out grow it but it will take enormous patience on your part. Losing her cell and net cuts her off from the all important social circle that is such a major part of a teenagers life. Next will be the, you dont understand me age. Just stick to your guns and it will be ok. 

FlyHippie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Yep, I agree with the other two....welcome to the teen years... maybe when it all calms down you can have an easier talk. Things might be received better. My kiddo is like that...

stefvan
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Just keep standing united with your dh and don't back down.  That is very typical teen behavior - even from a child that's never been in trouble.

.Holly.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I don't have a teen girl, but wanted to welcome you to the group. You'll get some great advice here. (some which you've already gotten). :)

fairymom2316
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Quoting stefvan:

Just keep standing united with your dh and don't back down.  That is very typical teen behavior - even from a child that's never been in trouble.

I agree.

Welcome to the group! =)

LancesMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM

This is the age of hormones and independence. Stick to your guns though. You don't want things to get worse.

KeriAZ
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Teen girls are not an easy thing. Just sit down buckle up and wear a crash helmet. It will be a nasty roller coaster. My daughter is 16 now and has had an attitude for a loooonnnng time. She is now in anger management classes. Good Luck.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Quoting stefvan:

This and welcome to the group :)

Skeup
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Wow, thanks everyone. That truly does help to hear that it's just a normal part of growing up....it's just so dang HARD!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)