• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you Ladies...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

Do you have any problems with your teen, sexting I don't but my son tell me he has some friends that do that showing the pics to all the kinds in school...

The issue of sexting is arising elsewhere as well, with cases reported in at least a dozen states. In the past month, police have confiscated five cell phones of teens between ages 11 and 17 in Scranton, Penn., and in New York, police have charged a 16-year-old boy with allegedly enticing a 15-year-old girl to text him sexually explicit photos and a movie of herself that he then forwarded to friends..

If you have teens, how do you keep up with the latest in teen technology? Do you watch their Tweets and track their Facebook page? Have you heard your teens talking about sexting? And if your child is a pre-teen, how are you setting the stage for when their technological knowledge surpasses your own?

Also, make sure they know that others might forward their pictures or messages to people they do not know or want to see them, and that school administrators and employers often look at online profiles to make judgments about potential students/employees."

Most teens know this as well; 22 percent of girls and 18 percent of boys sext anyway. Knowing that their parents may view the material.

Racy photos have been shared since the camera was invented.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
02nana07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM

no problem here but I know some kids that do it and the problems it has caused them 

amberdy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM

We haven't had any problems, but I know of kids that have.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

no

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM

no but thanks for sharing.

blessedwboysx3
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM

My son did have a girl sending him provacative pictures once, they were both 14.  There weren't any sexting texts in his phone but he did have a few photos from her in her bra and jeans unbuttoned or super short skirts.  She wasn't naked but it was definitely proactive and inappropriate. 

I sat him down and explained how it was inappropriate, and a girl that sends pictures like that is searching for attention and he shouldn't be asking for them or encouraging them.  That he was hurting her in the process, especially if she is a girl that has low self esteem and was hoping for him to like her.   I also explained to him the risks of sexting and how he can get himself and me in trouble with texts on his phone in my name.

He deleted the pictures and to my knowledge she never sent another one, if she did he was deleting them. (I did tell him I'd tell her parents if she did it again, because they needed to be aware of the type of pictures she was taking and sending)

We haven't had the problem since, he's 17 and I think all the conversations about girls, respect and relationships have helped over the past 3 years.

I've never had this problem with my younger son - but I've talked to him before it's had a chance to happen...so hopefully it never comes up. 

.Holly.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

NO they didn't have texting until they were off to college. Then it wasn't my business.

bizzeemom2717
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM
I've discussed the dangers with both of them

Quoting .Holly.:

Quoting mumsy2three:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Good for you! That seems so logical, but many parents either ignore it because it's not their daughter, or fly off the handle and miss a valuable opportunity to open the channels of communication with their sons.

Quoting blessedwboysx3:

My son did have a girl sending him provacative pictures once, they were both 14.  There weren't any sexting texts in his phone but he did have a few photos from her in her bra and jeans unbuttoned or super short skirts.  She wasn't naked but it was definitely proactive and inappropriate. 

I sat him down and explained how it was inappropriate, and a girl that sends pictures like that is searching for attention and he shouldn't be asking for them or encouraging them.  That he was hurting her in the process, especially if she is a girl that has low self esteem and was hoping for him to like her.   I also explained to him the risks of sexting and how he can get himself and me in trouble with texts on his phone in my name.

He deleted the pictures and to my knowledge she never sent another one, if she did he was deleting them. (I did tell him I'd tell her parents if she did it again, because they needed to be aware of the type of pictures she was taking and sending)

We haven't had the problem since, he's 17 and I think all the conversations about girls, respect and relationships have helped over the past 3 years.

I've never had this problem with my younger son - but I've talked to him before it's had a chance to happen...so hopefully it never comes up. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PosinourHarmony
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM

No! My boys know better and were raised better than that! That would be the loss of everything. I do know kids who have...pictures of a teenage girl leaked out last year and she was humuiliated. I've talked to my boys about this and the dangers and wat it can do to someone's life. It's not cool it's not cute it's trashy and makes you look bad! Their is a guy up here facing some serious charges cause he sent pictures of his penis to a 16 year old girl and tried to get her to send him naked pictures and he's my age! I only send naked pictures to my fiance lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)