Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my mom is in ICU on a vent!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM
  • 18 Replies

For those of you that didn't read my last post about my mom having very high risk surgery (and those who did and offered advice on how to approach my dd) eveything went well. The surgery lasted 2 hours longer than expected and started 2 hours late (no surprise there...LOL). Mom in now on a vent in ICU, as was planned apparently, but is doing well considering the situation.Her surgery wasn't anything like she described it though. There was actually two issues they had to fix in one surgery. The valve between her stomach and duodenum had to be repaired and her stomach had somehow gotten above her diaphram and was pushing against her lungs.

My dd knows that grandma is ok, but I am not going to stress her out by telling her that grandma is in a medically induced coma on a ventilator. Nor did I tell her the actual surgical procedure as of yet, I will when she comes back from her dad's on friday (we pushed it back a day, was suppose to be Thursday, but it's better this way) and I will take her up to the hospital so she can see her. I don't want to tell her the scary stuff it would get her way to upset.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drfink
by Emily on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM

So glad to hear she is doing as well as can be expected .Hope she continues this path.Agree no need to go overboard on details right now.

Take care !

tuffymama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Prayers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PosinourHarmony
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I'm glad everything went well....I agree I would wait and talk to her face to face. Please keep us updated on her condtion and how it goes with your daughter!

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM
Glad to hear her update.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Holly.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Really glad to hear your mother is doing well considering the situation.  Prayers being sent her way!

I also agree, face to face is best.  Thanks for updating us!

bizzeemom2717
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:27 AM

Thank you for the update. Good to hear your Mom is doing well. Prayers and positive thoughts being sent your family's way.

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:31 AM
Glad surgery went well. Please tell your daughter the truth before you take her to see Grandma. I will keep her in my prayers, all of you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:21 AM

That is good news, my thoughts are with you!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Thank you for the update. My thoughts are with you.

LOVES67
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I'm glad she is doing better,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)