Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back Breaking Books

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

So DD just started  high school and already has a ton of homework. My problem is her backpack weight 11 pounds. She has to carry 5 books home nightly and 4 binders and all her other supplies to do homework. What should we do to change her backpack load?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drfink
by Emily on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM

So right !I think in the future there are going to be all these 30 to 40 year olds with premature back/neck /shoulder issues due to these heavy backpack

Having said that several classes issued 2 books last year.One stayed in the classroom,one came home for the year.We also had a couple of classes that encouraged the use of an online textbook.Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel on this issue.

pferg
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM
Luckily for my dd she is under special services so I can usually get a set of books to keep home. They also have cd's and online web books too. I agree though this is a huge problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Its impossible.  My dd is just over 90 lbs and a senior.  She just carries the 15-20 lb backpack all day and deals with it.  She should have a backpack that weighs no more than 9 lbs but that is impossible.  These kids will have huge back issues someday.  11 lbs really isn't much, I have to admit.  Most weigh 20 lbs or more. 

NearSeattleMom
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Get one of those rolling backpacks? 

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 20, 2011 at 5:25 AM

Those would be embarrassing.  My dd used one in grade school but in middle and HS no way would she use one of those.  They don't fit in lockers also so they are useless once you get a locker.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

plclemo
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Buy one of those devices used to roll luggage that would fold up and fit into her back pack when not in use.

luckysevenwow
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Our junior high and high school doesn't allow them. One day school books will be placed on a kindle like device and when that happens every back out there will rejoice. Until then, I have no advice cause we never really found a solution for it.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Our school doesn't allow rolling backpacks.  Our hallways have traffic jams.  Rolling backpacks wouldn't work and no kids would want to use them and get teased anyway.  I wish there was time to go to the locker more.  My dd is 90lbs and carries a 20lb backpack all day. 

drfink
by Emily on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

neither our M.S. or H.S. allows any rolling devices.Kids can trip on them .

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM

OurHS and MS don't allow them either.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Our junior high and high school doesn't allow them. One day school books will be placed on a kindle like device and when that happens every back out there will rejoice. Until then, I have no advice cause we never really found a solution for it.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)