Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Homework Overload.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

DD high school give so much homework that she had to pull an all nighter last night. She has a 5 page essay a timeline project she had to read a story online ,extra credit and the french alaphabet.They were all given on the same day and due the next. I know she has honors but thats just too much to pull an all nighter in high school. What would you do if this was your teenager?

by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
URHonor
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM

i think the kids have WAY to much hw in general. i was raised in the 80's. HW took half an a hour and that's it! we had time to get out to play, we had time to have family dinners, we had time to do activities...the HW is out of control.

copgirl112
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Quoting URHonor:

i think the kids have WAY to much hw in general. i was raised in the 80's. HW took half an a hour and that's it! we had time to get out to play, we had time to have family dinners, we had time to do activities...the HW is out of control.

Agreed I wish she had less but no . They say they are preparing them to college. If they keep doing this I dont think a lot of them will go to college

FlyHippie
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM

That SUCKS!!!! I don't know what I'd do. Homeschool is what I already do! That's insane. That sad thing is that it's so much that it sucks the joy out of learning. Screw "getting them ready for college"...if they are taught the love of learning, they'll go and do well...sigh...

bizzeemom2717
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM
Happened a few times to my ds who was in honors and AP all through HS, but only maybe 3 times during finals. While it could well be homework overload ridiculousness...I would make sure the class load wasn't too tough for her as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM
The bs of homework is yet another reason I homeschool. Such a waste of time. My mother had hardly any homework, and yet her generation graduated having been taught algebra, geometry, far more history and geography than is taught now, penmanship, elocution & comportment, English and American literature, grammar, writing, foreign language, mandatory driver ed, music or art, chemistry, biology, government, civics, and they had PE all four years. How is it EVERYTHING was made to fit into the same four years, when kids have to do three fourths of the work at home now, and STILL don't graduate with all the subjects that used to be taught?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christy78
by Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM

At my DD  school she in 7 th grade homework for her can only take 30 mins and if it takes any kids longer then the parent has to talk to the teachers . and Most of her projects are done in class because it wil be in groups her SS teacher said he  he will not give so much home work because he knows kids have other activies to do   Plus her school is doing a new thing called SLT it's like a study hall . But say if your child has a test and did not do so well . then that teacher wil pull your child to her class for SLT  and go over and help the child out as mush as they can .

plclemo
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Our school has a hw policy that goes something like this: 20 minutes per subject except for 30 minutes before a test.  It seems to work well.  No Wednesday night HW as it is a private Christian school and they want the teens at youth group on Wed. night.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM

DOes the extra credit have to be done?  I would do all the mandatory and explain to my child that they chose the classes so they have to deal with the homework.

Kristen1010
by Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM
10 hours of homework...that's a bit much. My oldest just started high school - he's in all Honors and doesn't have near that amount.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell81
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Quoting URHonor:

I agree!

~Shell~
Group Mod In Tween Titans  ~ Moms With Teens The Park Bench

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN