Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9/14/11 **QOTD**

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:26 AM
  • 12 Replies

How were you disciplined/punished at a teen? Have you used the same type of punishment with your teen?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:06 AM

I know this will sound irritating but I never got into trouble as a teen. My dad would have taken my freedom for the rest of my days. My boys havent been in any real trouble themselves. On the rare occasion they have done something warranting punishment it has been to take away the cell or internet. So far I have been very lucky. 

PosinourHarmony
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM

I got my ass busted,grouned, time outs, etc., I have one of those old fashioned black mothers lol! I do the same with my kids.

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM

My parents used a belt on me. That was a standard spanking. They didn't fold it in half. I got the buckle end.

No way would I ever do that to my kids. I ground them if it's needed, or take away privileges.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Grounded.  I do the same.  My parents didn't have a computer to take away though, lol.  I did lose phone privliedges and couldn't go with friends.  I wasn't a bad kid at all.  I got grounded for things my girls probably wouldn't get grounded for, lol. 

his_penguin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM
I remember alot of yelling. There were so many people in the house at any given time. I was scared of my dad- he had the 'big black belt'. I was grounded all the time for no reason. I couldn't wait to turn 18 so I could move the hell away! I'm not so strict my with teen dd16. She's never given me a reason to even think of spanking her. I've always counted to 3 and she stops asap. She gives me NO trouble now - such a model kid. She and I are really close - probably because we kinda grew up together. I had her when I was 19. She says she doesn't do anything 'bad' because she doesn't want to dissapoint me - ok- I'll roll with that, lol. The worse I've ever had to do is take her laptop and phone away until she picked a couple grades up.
MommyWeston
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I was grounded and had my privileges taken away. I do the same with my kids.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I was grounded and had things taken away when I was a young teen. My father left when I was 14 and my mom had to work almost constantly to support my brother and I so she really couldn't reinforce groundings and such. Then our punishment was more about natural consequence. We did something stupid and got caught~ we paid the fine or did the community service or what ever else we got.

If our teen gets in trouble she gets grounded or loses privileges. Our sons get time out and lose privileges.

Malissa1578
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Got grounded once in a while, but for the most part my mom didn't pay attention... she had bigger problems with my step-dad. i have grounded my kids once or twice, but honestly my kids are just good.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:59 PM

good god... my parents were going through a divorce when I was a teen.  My mom acted like a child herself and was clueless.  My father was a good parent but simply not there enough.

It has DEFINATELY influenced the way I parent and the way I handle my marriage.  

I lost alot of respect for my mother during that time.

re-read the question...

mom.. cry, guilt, silent treatment, scream, pout, etc.

dad... natural consequences, talking to, restrictions.

sunny1961
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I grew up with a very violently abusive ste-father. There was no discipline - there was just constant, severe beatings!

NO, I don't beat my children. When they were little, I spanked - never, ever out of anger - if I was really, really mad - I would wait until I was under control. As they grew, I would use alternative methods - grounding, taking things away, writing essays.....

~~~Barbara

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)