Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guns at school!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM
  • 9 Replies

So we get a call from my son's school yesterday, Here is how the call went.

Ring ring... (dad) hello?   The line went dead!!   Dad calls back.. Hello , yes we just got a call from the school..    Yes sir everything is ok..  ( dad) ok what do u mean?  (school)  it was just a rumor sir.. (dad) what was just a rumor. (Shcool) There was a rumor going around that there was a shooting at school, but it was just a rumor. So then we find out on the news!!! that last week two students were arested for bringing guns to school. One child was selling a gun to another student. and one child had one in his locker. The school didnt bother to notify parents of this incident last week or the one this week where more guns were found. a totall of 5 from what i am reading.   They say they didnt notify parents because the situation was being taken care of  and the students were in no danger. And the students that brought the guns to school had no intentions of using them on other students or staff..  Well i ask  how do u know that? Just because the student said that they had no intention of using the gun. I just dont know.. I am not against guns but they have no buisness in schools and no buisness in the hands of children and teens.  This whole situation just scares me!!  What the kids of today have to go thru is bad enough. with the peer pressure from other kids to do drugs and get into fights. I mean they video tape the fights at school and put them on utube for christs sake.!!   How do we keep them all safe when there is so much bad out there trying to pull them all down...  We work so hard to teach our kids that drugs are bad and to live above the influence!! That fighting never solves anything, That We want only the best for u. But then they have all this negative influences going against what we try to teach them..  I guess we just continue to teach them right from wrong and pray that they can over come the negative..   

Sorry this has been so long!!  Have a safe and happy day!!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tyfry7496
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM
You do exactly what you are. Teach them right from wrong, morals, etc and then hope and pray for the best. That they listened and what you taught them wins out over peer pressure. You can't shield them from all the evils of the world, it's not healthy or possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM

This is one of the many reasons I have home educated for the past almost 20 yrs.  This kind of violence and crap was going in when I was in school in the 70's and it is so very much worse now.  All of my children (14 of the 15) are graduated and grown now.  Down to just my 14 yr old :)

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have been up at the school board raising hell!  Sorry you and your kids are going through this but at least no one was hurt.

bamababe1975
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

This...

Quoting tyfry7496:

You do exactly what you are. Teach them right from wrong, morals, etc and then hope and pray for the best. That they listened and what you taught them wins out over peer pressure. You can't shield them from all the evils of the world, it's not healthy or possible.

lylaschild
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

ohhh how i would love to pull them all out and homeschool!! But im afaid i do not have a patience . And i also work full time.  I just wish the school would understand that they need to notify the parents when things like this happens. Because what if next time it is not a rumor!! They need to have a whole school meeting and let these kids know that behavior like this is unacceptable and will be punished!!  The drugs and fighting that goes on at this school is unbeleivable. Everyother day i swear my son comes home and there was another fight.  Its just to common now adays.

OutWest
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest a strongly worded letter to the princiapl about your expectations (being notified of any possible dager) with a copy to the district superintendent, and the local newspaper. You might want to go down to the next city council meeting and speak up during the open mike session. 

I'm completely in agreement with you. The school was negligent in not informing parents. If parents can't trust the schools to keep them informed, they can't trust the school.

My DD's school almost does too muc, but I appreciate it. We had a recent incident where a kid brought pepper spray to school and dropped it. HazMat was called, etc., and it turned out to be a big nothing (except for the kid who got expelled...). But the school kept the parents informed through robo-calls. I really appreciated that. 

shell81
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

I would have been up at the school board raising hell!  Sorry you and your kids are going through this but at least no one was hurt.

~Shell~
Group Mod In ~ Moms With Teens The Park Bench 
Group Owner In ~
MTV's 16 And Pregnant / Teen mom 

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Quoting OutWest:

I suggest a strongly worded letter to the princiapl about your expectations (being notified of any possible dager) with a copy to the district superintendent, and the local newspaper. You might want to go down to the next city council meeting and speak up during the open mike session. 

I'm completely in agreement with you. The school was negligent in not informing parents. If parents can't trust the schools to keep them informed, they can't trust the school.

My DD's school almost does too muc, but I appreciate it. We had a recent incident where a kid brought pepper spray to school and dropped it. HazMat was called, etc., and it turned out to be a big nothing (except for the kid who got expelled...). But the school kept the parents informed through robo-calls. I really appreciated that. 

yup same here.Very cautious and informative.I receive a land line call,cell call and email for the same message each time...lol

louzannalady
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM

There is a school district, in Texas, that allows teachers who have their conceal carry permits to conceal carry within the schools. I love that idea! I think that having adults that are trained in gun use on the premises can be a great deterrent, as in any arena!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)