Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Math challenges in 13 yr dd

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM
  • 3 Replies

My 13 yr old dd is struggling with algebra. She has never been a motivated student - one driven to understand. She is more interested in getting her work 'done' than in comprehending what she is doing. I can help with math, but I'm not the best teacher. I get impatient, she gets mad. It's not the best situation. The further we go in the year, the more she struggles.

I'm considering sending her to Mathnasium (a franchised math tutoring service) or getting a higher grade student from her school to tutor her. Mathnasium is $275 per month, but I feel comfortable she will get the help she needs. Plus, it is convenient. The tutor would be free, but would require altering my work schedule to get her to school early. It would also impact my carpooling. Most importantly, there's no assurance she would benefit.

Has anyone tried either of the above? Any other ideas? It is so frustrating to watch her struggle, get frustrated, cry and then check out!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I sent my dd to Sylvan and it really helped.  I got her a math tutor in 7th grade and in 8th grade sent her to Sylvan.  She never struggled again in HS math.  She got B's mostly with a few C+'s.  I was happy.  She also repeated 7th grade math in 8th grade and that REALLY helped her.  She didn't do Algebra 1 until 9th grade. 

luckysevenwow
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I have never used either of those, however there is an online math "tutor" it's all video's and he has everything you could think of. My 2nd grader has used it and so has my college aged children. They're easy to watch video's...might be worth a shot. In case you are interested...

KhanAcademy.org

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I am a mathematician.  I have always understood math and excelled at it. The problem I see with kids struggling with math is that it is progressive.  It is not enough for them to understand their homework from tonight but to understand all of it that they have been previously taught.

It's not like they won't use it again in future classes, and more than likely you are using algebra without even knowing it.  I think it is more important to find out which part she is struggling with, and go back to the basics on that to reteach her the stuff she missed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)