Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teens and Abortion

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM
  • 45 Replies

What do you think about your teen having an abortion?  Would you allow it?  Would you prevent it?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

It would be their choice.  I am pro choice and so are my girls.  I have a 20 yo that hasn't gotten pregnant and a virgin almost 18 yo though. 

conniejo75
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
In my state a girl can get an abortion without parental consent. If I had daughters it would be their choice. I would hope they have baby and I would help... but if they chose abortion I would support them too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BamaMommy2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I consider myself pro-life, and if my child had an abortion, I would bevery  upset, but I would still love her no matter what, and I would eventually get over it!!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

For those of you that are saying IF you had teens that got pregnant, at what age do you feel that the girls could make that decision safely?  Many teens get abortions to not have to face their parents on what they have done.

I mean is there any difference between a 13 yr old having an abortion and a 18 yr old?

momma2boogie98
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I may not have the popular opinion here - but if my child came to me and let me know she was pregnant....she would be getting an abortion.  My daughter is 13 right now and knows that is what will happen if she comes to me before she is 18 and she is pregnant....and if she is 18-25 I will propose the same solution - but after she's 18, i can't really force her to do anything.

I became pregnant at 18....and it's been my daughter and I ever since w/ a truely absent father.   She knows that I am 32 working on an education that should've been done by my 22nd year.....she knows, first hand, the financial hardships we have had to endure as a direct result of me being a single "uneducated" mother. 

I want so much better for her then everything I've had to go through....when I became pregnant at 18 no one ever realistically sat down and talked to me about how hard life was going to be.  Because of that I've been very realistic with my daughter about ways to make her life easier and paths that will help her achieve her goals.  There is no room for a teenage pregnancy in her life....she deserves to be ready for a child w/ a supportive partner.....this is not an issue for discussion....it is how it will be.

I understand that this could leave lasting emotional issues for my daughter...and I would do everything in my power to support her and get her guidence through that period in her life - but i feel that the benifit of not having a child in her teens outweighs these issues.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM

To me at any age they can decide to get one if they want to.  I would certainly encourage it if they were young but mine are not now  I am more on the prevention side and to do everything you can so it doesn't happen. 

Quoting fantasticfour:

For those of you that are saying IF you had teens that got pregnant, at what age do you feel that the girls could make that decision safely?  Many teens get abortions to not have to face their parents on what they have done.

I mean is there any difference between a 13 yr old having an abortion and a 18 yr old?

conniejo75
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM
3 moms liked this
If I had a 13 yo preg daughter, I would have a lot bigger issues than just her being preg... jmho.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Deedee0115
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

You can't even force her at 13! If she was adament there would be nothing you could do. I think we all want better for our daughters. I had my first at 16 and it would kill me to watch her go through all of the BS I did. I also recognize that she is her own person and I would love her no matter what. I also had an abortion at 14 and those mental and emotional scars have lasted a lifetime....I wouldn't wish that on her either. Always a touchy situation and a tough call but you seem to have your heart in the right place and I truly hope that the two of you are never faced with that call.....great feedback!

Quoting momma2boogie98:

I may not have the popular opinion here - but if my child came to me and let me know she was pregnant....she would be getting an abortion.  My daughter is 13 right now and knows that is what will happen if she comes to me before she is 18 and she is pregnant....and if she is 18-25 I will propose the same solution - but after she's 18, i can't really force her to do anything.

I became pregnant at 18....and it's been my daughter and I ever since w/ a truely absent father.   She knows that I am 32 working on an education that should've been done by my 22nd year.....she knows, first hand, the financial hardships we have had to endure as a direct result of me being a single "uneducated" mother. 

I want so much better for her then everything I've had to go through....when I became pregnant at 18 no one ever realistically sat down and talked to me about how hard life was going to be.  Because of that I've been very realistic with my daughter about ways to make her life easier and paths that will help her achieve her goals.  There is no room for a teenage pregnancy in her life....she deserves to be ready for a child w/ a supportive partner.....this is not an issue for discussion....it is how it will be.

I understand that this could leave lasting emotional issues for my daughter...and I would do everything in my power to support her and get her guidence through that period in her life - but i feel that the benifit of not having a child in her teens outweighs these issues.

Deedee0115
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say there is a difference for any decision made from 13 - 18 (Friends they choose, what they wear, who they look up to...etc.) I was 14 with my first abortion and 19 with my last. There are scars and emotional issues that linger equally. I have to live with my decisions as would any young lady whether it was to have it or abort it. No 13 year old should be having a child or an abortion but that is our world. No matter what she did I would be there to guide her - NO MATTER WHAT!! There is nothing on this earth that could turn me away from any of my children.

Quoting fantasticfour:

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Having a child and keeping it at 13 can be detrimental for the rest of her life as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)