• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother of a teen daughter and a 20 year old son in college.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM
  • 14 Replies

Well this may seem to up front I am a mother with a teen daughter... I was just laid off from work and things are seeming to be getting a little crazy job seeking is seeming hopeless so i think it is time to tell my son and daughter that things my get alittle hard until I get a job.....this would be the the right thing to do you think???/

Sukie559love you sign

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I think you should discuss things with them.  I have a 20 yo and a 17 yo. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM

At those ages, yes I would discuss it with them.

LancesMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM

welcomeNice to meet you! I agree you should tell them. Good luck!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

welcomeNice to meet you! I agree you should tell them. Good luck!

AliSingleMom4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM
This

Quoting fantasticfour:

At those ages, yes I would discuss it with them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bintasmommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I, too am in the same situation. My husband has a 13 yr old that lives with me. He got laid off so I am working 2 jobs and going to school full time. My husband just completed CDL classes and am just waiting to get the money so he can do the state test, and it has been hard....so our 13 yr old is having to deal with some changes, I too was afraid to talk to her bout it but, she has a better understanding...hope things work out for you and your family :)

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I lost my job in February and havent found another yet. I felt I had to sit down and tell my two boys, ages 17 and 14. They have been very good with it too. They have never asked for much anyway but they have friends over instead of going out to places that require money. They havent asked for anything exceptional at all. We are at our last dime and the worst is going to be having to tell them we wont be having any Christmas in this family this year. I cry thinking about ot. I dont mean about just gifts. I have never gone over board on that anyway. I am just not looking forward to it. We are probably just going to volunteer that day. I understand momma. Tell them. They prove to be real troopers like mine. 

LoriDeen
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I let my own kids know when we needed to tighten our belts and when the holidays would be a bit slim from the age of about 13 on. They've grown up to be helpful, honest adults who are living within their means. I think discussing this with them is a must.

Sukie559
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Thank all you ladies who took time in repling to my post....:) I took some time and broke the news to my kids they have always been pretty understanding I think I put it off was due to the fact I was embrarrassed. but hey I think we or many of us have been the same boat right1

Shari55
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Discuss your financial situation with them, they are old enough to know the realities of life...the economy sucks now and as an unemployed parent myself(almost four years now) all of my children know that things are hard....

My daughters have tightened their belts and well have been really understanding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)