Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A real tree or fake tree?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM
  • 31 Replies

for two years I have had a fake tree...I hate it I want to get another real one!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
masastan
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I grew up with artificial trees because I have an allergy to real trees. However, once I married my husband insisted on a real tree because that was his family tradition. So, I got tested for allergies and it showed only a mild allergy to the trees used as Christmas trees meaning I would no longer have a severe asthma attack and would only break out if the needles stuck me. So, my kids have been growing up with both. One Christmas money was so tight, I went and bought an artificial tree the day after Thanksgiving and put the money saved towards gifts. Now no longer with that man, I took the tree and decor, etc. and I have been using that tree myself rather than getting a real one (I hated the mess a real tree left behind). This is my LO's 2nd Christmas and we will have a new baby in the house as well, so after much debate, we have decided to use the artificial tree again this year...in fact, it is going up tonight! LOL! And I thought I was being impatient for this time of the year to come, but no...my SO wants to put it up and have the house decorated before the baby arrives (due the 17th of Nov) since we are planning on hosting Thanksgiving here. My older kids will be around both types of trees...real at great grandma's and dad's house, artificial everywhere else.

bizzeemom2717
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM
We had a real tree for years and years. I got tired of all the pine needles and got a beautiful artificial pre-lit for a steal the day after Christmas a few years back. We love it. If I want the pine scent I will light a candle or burn pine scent in my Scentsy warmer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

i love love real ones but they seem to bother my dh's and my allergies.  Plus now we've got a new puppy so that's a challenge

lauriebash
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM

We had real ones for our 1st 17 years of marriage. The past few years was a fake one, because I wanted a skinny one. Last year, we didn't even put that up. Maybe I'll wait till we have grandchildren

nanretan
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM

My husband and I have always had a real one!  Its a big ordeal for our family!  We go to the farm and pick the perfect tree and cut it down ourselfs!  I remember having a fake tree growing up because we lived in hot climates it was a huge bummer!

momofne
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Fake! Too much mess with a real one and I think it's more "green" to go that way.

bubbasmom0917
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

fake for me or death!!! seriously allergic to real trees

ebbierowe
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM

we only had a fake tree for our oldest first Christmas...and it was a pitiful little Charlie Brown tree...my mom got it at a yeard sale for $5. :-) ever since then we have had a real one....DH insisted, cause it was his family's tradition. He tried to switch to a fake one a couple years ago and the kids threw a fit....

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM
I'm allergic to real ones so unfortunately have to have fake ones
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerzymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Always been a family tradition to go out and cut down a real tree. The kids look forward to it every year. Makes the house smell so good. If christmas had a scent, it would be the smell of a freshly cut tree. As far as the needles, no big deal. Just vacume.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)