Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom of 3 Teens Help

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM
  • 6 Replies

Having trouble with daughters listening.  Everything ends in an uproar.  Already be attacked when they don't get their way. 

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cafe AmyS
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Ugh... teens and listening.  I don't have a lot of advice, but wanted to let you know that I empathize with you.  (((hug)))

Quoting sgp:

Having trouble with daughters listening.  Everything ends in an uproar.  Already be attacked when they don't get their way. 

sgp
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Thanks for the hug Amy.  I am hanging on for now.  Pray for me

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
All my kids argue. I say enough I am the mom and what I say goes. And walk away. So I don't have much advice for you. But to say good luck
annie2244
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Would a rule that if someone is not being civil in the way they are disagreeing (no raised voice, no name calling, no bad language) then the stove timer is set for 5 minutes and no further discussion occurs until the timer dings. That rule has helped our oldest learn how to argue more calmly.  When we started this rule 2 yrs ago, sometimes the timer would have to be set 3 times in a half hour, but now she's learned that the back and forth conversation to negotiate goes alot more efficiently if she keeps her cool.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM
Sounds great!

Quoting annie2244:

Would a rule that if someone is not being civil in the way they are disagreeing (no raised voice, no name calling, no bad language) then the stove timer is set for 5 minutes and no further discussion occurs until the timer dings. That rule has helped our oldest learn how to argue more calmly.  When we started this rule 2 yrs ago, sometimes the timer would have to be set 3 times in a half hour, but now she's learned that the back and forth conversation to negotiate goes alot more efficiently if she keeps her cool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I simply put my foot down.  There is a time and place for arguing but NOT when I am telling you to do something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)