Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you do Christmas with the inlaws

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM
  • 29 Replies

We go to visit  MIL and everyone gets her a gift and she normally gets everyone a gift other than that just the kids get gifts and we have sandwiches and sweets to eat.  This year we will be getting a gift for MIL and no other gifts will be exchanged since all the kids are grown but we will be having a meal instead of sandwiches.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Shauna on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM

We go to my MIL's on Christmas day. We exchange gifts and have a meal together.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM

We usually try to coordinate a Sunday to drive over....... This year we have to request John take a day off work so we can all go. We go to Step MIL's house first and have a light snack and exchange gifts. Then we go to Monster-In-Laws house and have pizza and exchange gifts. Monster always wants us to stick around and tries to get the crazy BIL/SIL  to come over........ At that point DH knows to pack up the car and get me outta there...........

by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My in laws live on the opposite coast.  We send them a gift.  

In 18 yrs of marriage we have celebrated with them maybe 4 times total.  

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM

We spend Christmas eve with my in laws at my SIL's house.  We (mil- children and spouses) are going in together to get her a new recliner.  And gifts will be exchanged just for the kids, all teens and young adults.  Too much food will be served and it will be a nice night.  Christmas day is at my house with my family.  This is the first without either of our parents.  But a new grand baby will join us.  My siblings and spouses do a "pick" and the kids get gifts.  Again, too much food will be served!!!!  Happy Holidays to all.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM

We mix it up.  The morning of we spend at home and then go to my parents.  His side depends when his brother will have his kids.  The last few yrs we've had it at our house so MIL doesnt have to clean.  She's not very well and will be having eye surgury on the 9th.  We take her shopping for gifts for all the grandkids too.  DD likes this so she can pick out what she wants. 

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM
We don't celebrate with the in-laws...they live in NY and we're in I'll. Mil is a Jehovah Witness and FIL a Southern Baptist. She always sends us something after the holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM
We are in Florida they are in Tennessee. We've never spent Christmas with them - we've been married over 18 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 5:57 AM

My mother and my fiances mother are best friends. They grew up together been frinds for like 40 years now....anyways they mix it up. One year my mother will have both families at her house and the next year his mother. This year it's his mothers turn so we get up in the morning and open gifts here then we will go ta his mothers house and spend all day and the evening time we stop at a few close friends house and exchange gifts and hang with them for a lil bit.

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:14 AM

We go to my husband's uncle & aunt's house(everyone else does too) and just sit and talk and wait to open presents. We usually stay the whole nite until midnite or past but this year we are staying 2 hours tops and going back home.

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I get on very well with my in-laws so Christmas is never a problem.  We go to their house for lunch on Christmas day and there are small gifts (usually money since MIL never knows what to buy for anyone).  My girls are the only grandchildren on this side of the family so they tend to get spoiled a bit.

Much as I love my own family (my sister, her husband and kids, my late sister's kids and my brother) we don't see them at Christmas.  They live a 16 hour drive away and that's just too far to go in the heat of summer (we're in Australia so Christmas is VERY hot weather most years).  I send my sister a big parcel in mid-December and she distributes the gifts to everyone on my behalf, and she sends her own parcel for us around the same time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)