Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 14yr old has a warrant out for him

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM
  • 22 Replies
He got into trouble in Sept charge was criminal harrassment they said we would get another summons and he needed an attorney. We never got the summons I got a warrant paper instead. I called the court at 1pm there were no judges in yesterday so they told me to bring him Monday to court to get the warrant cleared and get a new court date. I've told my son where I now need to hire an attorney for him that's his Christmas gift. We don't qualify for a public defender.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barfydoogin
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, hope it all works out for him and you.

annie2244
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Sorry you are going through this. What's the story? Who did he harrass, how, and why? How does he feel about this?

my4boys2002
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM
A group of kids were harassing a girl making fun of her, her mom went to the police all were charged. We went in front of the magistrate he decided to move forward said you will receive a summons bring a lawyer. We never got the summons court date was oct 26. I heard nothing about it til the warrant showed up. I called the court yesterday told them we never got the summons. They said bring him Monday to clear the warrant. I'm hoping he's not arrested at court I have no time to hire an attorney I'll use the courts on Monday and ask to be continued so I can hire an attorney.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this

well this is a hard lesson but hopefully he will learn from it and treat people better.

momofne
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:42 PM

So sorry you are going through this. Hang in there {{{HUGS}}}

sgp
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM

If he has never been in trouble before ask for deferred adjudication.  Maybe some community service will be offered or something esle and if he completes it.  He won't have that on his record.

02nana07
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I would wrap the papers you sign when you hire the attorney and that may be the best gift he ever receives .  It will teach him to respect others and don't do the crime if you can't do the time.  I hope he learns not to do what others are doing if he knows it is wrong.  

I would make him apologize to the girl along with any punishment the court sees fit.  I would also have him volunteer at a battered women's shelter because not all of the abuse is physical some is emotional and that might help him see the effect his words can have. 

After saying all that, I know it is hard to see your child get in trouble but a little tough love now might save you heartache down the road.  I hope you get this resolved and have a great holiday.

annie2244
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM

An in person apology to the girl is a great idea. I would have him practice with you what he wants to say to her.

Are these friends the best he can do? If they are better than this behavior, then he should call them and get them to each go and apologize to her in person one by one also. If they aren't big enough to regret this behavior, own up to it and apologize, maybe he should rethink hanging out with them.

texassahm
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:37 PM

If he has a warrant and you take him in, he will be arrested.  Best to have an attorney take him in so he can be processed quicker.  No matter what, talk to an attorney before you go down there. 

AND you are right to tell him this is his Christmas present - and birthday, too.  It's going to get pricey.  I didn't know you had to qualify for a public defender.  I thought it was something you get if no one will pay for an atty and you can't pay for one either.  I had no clue it was income based.

my4boys2002
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM
For a public defender I have to prove we can't pay, we would not meet low income guidelines, he can't apologize in person he was told by the court magistrate to stay away from her. He will learn his lesson this attorney is his Christmas gift. We have to be there at 8:30am we will have a court appointed attorney that day I'm assuming he will bill me I've never been through this before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)