Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Defiant Teens

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM
  • 38 Replies
Has anybody dealt with letting their 18 or older children move back home and feel like you made a mistake because they still did not want to respect you and your husband and your home? Did you have them leave? How did you handle it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I've had my over 18 child move out, when they never left, for not following the rules. She got that I wasn't playing and came back a week or so later without the attitude. My house my rules, if you do not like them the door is open and you are free to leave or I will help you if you don't change.

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I can't get my kids to move out, Chad is going to be 20 and I don't see it anytime soon.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:00 AM

My 18 y/o is a HS senior so she hasn't moved out and back. She doesn't try to pull the I'm and adult stuff b/c she knows it's our rules here, doesn't matter how old you are. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't but if my child wants to move back in it will be according to our rules or he would be asked to leave. There is no way you or your dh should be being disrespected by this child.

Marie1205
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I wrote up a contract with expectations, deadlines and consequences - it seems to be working very well.

Jeanniedoll
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM
A contract with expectations is what I will do. I have to do this with my 18 and 19 year old. My 18 year old thinks that she is my 9 years old mommy. Thanks

Quoting Marie1205:

I wrote up a contract with expectations, deadlines and consequences - it seems to be working very well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeanniedoll
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Mine is 18 and a senior in high school. She ran away when she was 17 twice because she didn't want to obey the rules. I let her back in and she is throwing her tantrums again. She called me a B.

Quoting mumsy2three:

My 18 y/o is a HS senior so she hasn't moved out and back. She doesn't try to pull the I'm and adult stuff b/c she knows it's our rules here, doesn't matter how old you are. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I would probably try the contract idea that a previous poster suggested. good luck!

Quoting Jeanniedoll:

Mine is 18 and a senior in high school. She ran away when she was 17 twice because she didn't want to obey the rules. I let her back in and she is throwing her tantrums again. She called me a B.

Quoting mumsy2three:

MAMADUKES222
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Mine is 17 and a senior.  When he is 18 he is OUT! unless his attitude changes.He thinks it will be so easy out there, just wait!

Jeanniedoll
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM
My husband and I drew up a contract of agreement. My daughter refuses to sign it and said she's leaving she's all packed but still here. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)