Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Cellphone/Smartphone Data Plan?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM
  • 41 Replies

Do you pay for a smart phone data plan for your teen?  I just can't see paying an extra $30 a month when he is not working to pay for it.  Thoughts?

by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
obx_Mom
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Nope. Both of my 9th graders have cell phones, but they both have basic "starter" phones with unlimited texting and a "bank" of minutes so they can't go over our monthly limit. 

I have a smart phone with an unlimited data package and dh used to, but he keeps drowning phones, so he's been downgraded to a basic cell phone, too. The kids have iPod touches and they can do whatever they need to on them as long as they have wifi, but I don't think they my kids smart phones yet. 

My osd has a smart phone with a data plan, but lives on her "own" and she pays for it. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM
We do not pay for a data plan. My son may be getting my DH's iPhone when he upgrades but he will have to pay for the data package.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4boys2002
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Yes 3 of my boys have iPhones with the data plans
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devtanbay3
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM
My DS-19 is on my plan and has no data plan just the basics...my DD-12 & DS-16 are on their dad's plan and he pays for them but they are both good students & involved in many activities so they have earned theirs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom-1kids-3
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM
My 2 teens got a data plan for their phone. With Virgin it's only $25/mth. Now my son has busted his phone he has went to a cheap phone with just call/text until he can save some money to buy anothet one.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM
My DS almost 19 has had one since he was 16 and we pay data plan, but he is a straight A student. My DD almost 14 wants one, maybe when she's 16 IF her grades are still up. She does have unlimited texting, so that's what most important to her anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

We pay for our dd's cell phone. It's $27 plus tax through Virgin Mobile. She has 300 talk minutes (which she never uses), unlimited text, web and data. The price was locked in when she upgraded to a smartphone (not an iphone or anything like that) almost 2 years ago. Once she graduates from high school (this June) her phone bill will be her responsibility.

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, I have a house phone if they want a cell then it is up to them to pay for it themselves.

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Quoting fammatthews4:

We do not pay for a data plan. My son may be getting my DH's iPhone when he upgrades but he will have to pay for the data package.

That's a good thing.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I have an iphone, but my kids are not on my plan. They do have unlimited text, internet and calling through boost for 50 a month. I do pay for them since the reason they have them is so that *I* can talk to them. My other DD only has unlimited text and nothing else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)