Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

son told me he smoked pot...

Posted by   + Show Post

I know I should be upset and i'll probably be a little bashed here but... In my mind, and I have had a lot of experience with drugs, addiction, etc. it's not the worst thing he could do. It was at college in his dorm room with his roommate and a few others. We've always been very open about talking about drugs and other stuff because of some family s ituations we've had in the past. So my kids know about all the bad stuff, and the cautions, etc. But for me my son was always quiet in high school, always different, never really did anything to make me distrust him. And the fact that he told me means a lot to me. So we had another discussion about drugs and I hope he'll just be careful and smart. Other than that, I am not sure what to say except that i guess it's part of the college experience. I know it was for me and most people I know. He doesn't have a car, nor do any of his friends at school. So does anyone feel like me that it's kind of a rite of passage???

by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Replies (161-167):
btvsfreak
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Honestly, most people in college do it nowadays. It doesn't affect you any different than drinking does. 

However, that being said, if he is caught with it, or around people that are doing it, he CAN be charged as an accessory to a felony and ruin his career, his school life, and his reputation with a future employer. That he needs to be aware of as well. Busted parties happen all the time and he doesn't need to ruin his future career just because he got caught.

GrandmaSinatra
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM
LOL
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Illegal is illegal no matter what it is. 

ame4c
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting M3Love:

Although I disagree that it's "part of the college experience", I think it is a common one, and probably the safest drug he could have chosen. Binge drinking, that I would worry about.

I watched a docmentry with my kids not too long ago where they proved that smoking pot is worse than smoking cigerettes.  Now I do know (around here at least) most people believe it is better for you than cigerettes.  I am so glad my kids and I watched this show together.  It gave us an opportunity to talk about it as well. 

Pot actually pokes holes in your lungs that are not repairable.  Your lungs can heal from Cigerettes if you stop smoking (it takes a long time but can happen).

I don't agree with drinking either.  I tell my kids that alcohol is also a drug.  It is legal after 21, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.  And the consiquenses for drinking and driving are just too great.

Our high school makes the kids take a breathlizer before going to school dances or activities.  If you blow above a .02 your not allowed in.  You can blow that high by just using mouth wash.

PP - Your son is of age and as much as we as parents would like to make their choices for them, we can't.  I would just express how much you disapprove and keep the communication channels open.  Kids have to make mistakes to learn and if he's talking to you about it, he may have already learned from this one.

ame4c

M3Love
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I would find out who provided funding for that show.

Quoting ame4c:

Quoting M3Love:

Although I disagree that it's "part of the college experience", I think it is a common one, and probably the safest drug he could have chosen. Binge drinking, that I would worry about.

I watched a docmentry with my kids not too long ago where they proved that smoking pot is worse than smoking cigerettes.  Now I do know (around here at least) most people believe it is better for you than cigerettes.  I am so glad my kids and I watched this show together.  It gave us an opportunity to talk about it as well. 

Pot actually pokes holes in your lungs that are not repairable.  Your lungs can heal from Cigerettes if you stop smoking (it takes a long time but can happen).

I don't agree with drinking either.  I tell my kids that alcohol is also a drug.  It is legal after 21, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.  And the consiquenses for drinking and driving are just too great.

Our high school makes the kids take a breathlizer before going to school dances or activities.  If you blow above a .02 your not allowed in.  You can blow that high by just using mouth wash.

PP - Your son is of age and as much as we as parents would like to make their choices for them, we can't.  I would just express how much you disapprove and keep the communication channels open.  Kids have to make mistakes to learn and if he's talking to you about it, he may have already learned from this one.

ame4c
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM

It was a British journalist that wanted to investigate the influences of pot.  It was done from the British point of view.  It had nothing to do with the USA and Our laws.

She went to amsterdamn where it is tolerated to smoke pot and she showed the differences between the effects of pot and alcohol by driving a car while under the influence.

She then talked to DR's that are both for and against smoking pot.  They showed the lungs of pot smokers as compared to cigarette smokers and a normal person.  The pot smokers had holes in their alveoli and this is not repairable.  I know this because I had a punctured lung from a car wreck and the DR's told me that the damaged part would never heal.

They also talked about the effects of pot and why it is used medically.  It is the best pain reliever out there, but there are side effects.  It can cause depression and their is a slight chance for psychosis (this was not a huge possibility unless you smoked heavily the DR compared it too alcohol and alcoholism).

Quoting M3Love:

I would find out who provided funding for that show.

Quoting ame4c:

Quoting M3Love:

ame4c

trisha529
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM

NOT ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)