Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dating Rules for 15 yr old DD?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM
  • 22 Replies

My daughter is 15. She has a boyfriend, who is 16. She is a fabulous kid, very active in school, maintains a 4.0 gpa. Her boyfriend is a good kid. We like him, he is friendly, outgoing and his parents are very involved in his life. My DH and I have very different ideas on dating rules. Currently she isn't allowed on "car dates", but they are allowed to see eachother 3 times a week, either at our house or at his parents house. Her curfew is 9 on weekdays and 10 on weekends. I was just curious about what other rules we should consider or you yourself used. She is our oldest and we are kind of clueless as to rules. Thanks!!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM
My rule: no dating till age 16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like they are both good kids and you have set up some great boundaries. I think you are doing great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Sounds like you have it covered!   I don't have daughters, only sons.   I would allow them to go to school events, dances, and such.  They are chaperoned.   I would also allow some daytime dates.  Maybe in a group of friends.   Perhaps a movie or amusement park, carnival, fair...that sort of thing.

diah
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds about what we do, but we also have the group dates only untold she was 16. She just turned 17 so, if she wanted she could go on one on one dates.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tina51003
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The youth minister at our church recently gave a class about teen dating. He said kids don't "date" anymore. They just hang out aimlessly without an agenda, whic leads to them playing out scenarios that are too grown up for their brains to handle. They play out some sort of serious "marriage-like" romance.

I know I am NOT explaining this very eloquently, but it made sence at the time lol. Made me lean more towards... Boy picking girl up from her home. Meeting Dad (and Mom). Taking her on a respectable date, or group outing. Drops girl off at the door.

We still have a couple years to go before dealing with Dating, but We toss rules ideas back and forth. (DH & I)

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

your rules are great. we had no GFs in bedrooms, cell phones off at 9pm week nights, 11pm weekends. We also allowed group dates to the movies, bowling, roller skating, ice skating. They could go to someone elses home IF parents would be home. I would call and confirm this.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM
I agree no car dates. Supervise their tome together and have open communication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Same here.

Quoting annabl1970:

My rule: no dating till age 16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweatpea4
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

i think what you have set is good, Just make sure you are having open communication about the relationship with your DD. Also make sure his parents know what your rules are as well. 

momofne
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Sounds good to me : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)