Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

learning something new..

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

What do you tell a teen who wants to learn something new but does not want to learn the way you teach them but wants to learn their own way..( Makes sence?)..it is what me teen told me tonite..example: i am teachingher how to cook and use the stove but for some reason she dont want to learn how i teach her she wants to teach herself and she is destroying my pots..she won'teven read directions she thinks she knows how too .

Thanks in advance for any input..:)

Barbara

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Tell her that is not an option unless she buys her own set of cookwear...and has the funds to replace the stove if she ruins it.   Either she can take lessons from you (at least the basics) or take a cooking class.  It is fine to experiment with recipes...but not at the expense of your cook wear and appliances.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I would simply tell her that if she doesn't want to learn the proper way to handle the stove then she simply can't cook.  I'm not made of money where I can just up and buy more pots and pans and I don't think many people are.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM

It kind of depends

.If like the other posters said it will be costly or seriously damaging what ever it is explain it as they said

.If it is something she likes or uses but not needed for school etc and you can choose not to replace it let her find out the hard way about not listening.

epilepsymom
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Normally I would say let her try it her way. However since this involves a stove and pots and pans I think you need to be stern with her.. Tell her as soon as she hands you the money for the Pots and Pans she follows your directions or she leaves your kitchen

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Tell her she can experiment but she replaces any damaged cookware. I showed my son the basics and left him to his own devices. He is very creative. 

bizzeemom2717
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:42 AM
Yep, I totally agree.

Quoting epilepsymom:

Normally I would say let her try it her way. However since this involves a stove and pots and pans I think you need to be stern with her.. Tell her as soon as she hands you the money for the Pots and Pans she follows your directions or she leaves your kitchen

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marney.p
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 5:37 AM
1 mom liked this

For some reason I just found this really funny.

I can see this stubborn teenager who has no idea how to cook, refusing to listen to her mother who has been cooking for YEARS.

I would admire her tenacity, forgive her temporary stupidity (being a teenager) and ask around friends and family for old pots or second hand stores. Let her burn away.

However I would be way more concerned about her setting my kitchen a light. Make sure she can only do it when you are there.

I would be sitting at the table pretending to read a book. With one eye on the stove. Just in case. Oh and buy one of those small extinguishers.

Good luck.

CMY921
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 5:48 AM

That is a good idea to buy her her own (used) pots and pans.  And keep an eye on the stove.

My 14yo son also doesn't read directions, but he always wants to cook something.  Last year, he made a chocolate cake from scratch, and instead of 1 teaspoon of vanilla, he used 1 CUP!!!!  (we had one of those giant bottles of vanilla from costco)

He is no longer allowed to cook without supervision. 

Funny thing is, DS told a lady at church that we wouldn't let him bake anything for the youth bake sale.  She told him he could make anything he wanted and gave us a dirty look.  To this day, my husband and I wish we had given her that awful cake.  It tasted like cough medicine cake.  LOL

marney.p
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I have been cooking for at least 20 years and last year I made a slice and forgot to add the condensed milk. The main binding ingredient. Lets say it failed.

Such is life. I will never do it again though.

heartsnflowers
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting marney.p:

For some reason I just found this really funny.

I can see this stubborn teenager who has no idea how to cook, refusing to listen to her mother who has been cooking for YEARS.

I would admire her tenacity, forgive her temporary stupidity (being a teenager) and ask around friends and family for old pots or second hand stores. Let her burn away.

However I would be way more concerned about her setting my kitchen a light. Make sure she can only do it when you are there.

I would be sitting at the table pretending to read a book. With one eye on the stove. Just in case. Oh and buy one of those small extinguishers.

Good luck.

That is excatly her..oh and I find it funny too..yeah she is not allowed to cook unless one of us are home becasue one time we wern't and she put a frozen bagel in the microwave and set it on fire, the house smelled  so bad when we got home and she tried to lie about it..lol....how did she do that i don't know could it be becasue she wanted to do it her way and not pay attention to how i showed her..lol..Teenagers gotta love them..:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)