Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

parent or friend?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
I then heard about parents,partying with teenage children, smoking and drinking! Letting them have sex in home! Horrible! You can't be a friend first! You still have to be a parent! My kids can be 40, but they stil have to respect me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

All the parents I know what are kids friends, have screwed up kids.  It was that way when I was in school 30 years ago also.  It doesn't work. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

ABSOLUTELY!

iluv2meow
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

what? I always thought friendship came first when it came to sex, afterall, they will do it anyhow :)

UncoolMom.com
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

So many parents these days have this "youth complex" where they're obsessed with trying to stay young-- botox, plastic surgery, partying with their kids or allowing kids to do whatever they want because the parents want to be "hip"-- such fools!  And I think it's probably worse here in the South, where the women, no matter what age, think they have to look like super models-- and then they can't get over that their kids have problems...what great things could happen if these people would "get a life" and start using their brain power toward solving problems instead of creating them!!

epilepsymom
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

I always say "Im NOT your friend I am your mom!! Get used to it." She knows it means I make the rules and she will follow them!!

I can have fun with her and enjoy being with her but I will enforce the rules and she will follow them!!

AliSingleMom4
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
My boys know I am their mom first and their friend second.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofne
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Yep I agree. Parent always first!

dresdenfan118
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I love my kid, and most of the time, I like her too.  I have a lot of fun with my kid, and occasionally her friends...  at the zoo or the movies or the mall or other appropriate setting.  I enjoy seeing them do their thing.  I am not now, and never will be my dd's friend, or a her peer's friend. 

Anyone who would smoke, drink, or have sex with a kid (or allow sex in their home) isn't a good friend anyway, no matter how old that person is.  When I was a kid, a "friend" that did stupid stuff like that was referred to as a bad influence, and no friend at all.  I think this applies to these parents who have shirked their parental duties in favor of this "friend" relationship too. 

These parents aren't really a friend.  A friend wouldn't help you hurt yourself.  They aren't acting as parents either.  So, what are they?  I think they are next to useless.   

bubbles72
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree..Mom first, friend second.  My son says to me "I don't like you right now or I hate you"  and my response is "good, then I know I'm doing my job right.

rkoloms
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I am 51, and I still don't curse in front of my mother (or my teen)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)