Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Moving with a 13 year old

Posted by   + Show Post
Our family is moving in March from Maryland to Florida. My 7 year old is mostly excited, my 2 year old is of course oblivious but my 13 year old tells us every day he doesn't want to move. Mostly because he doesn't want to leave his best friend. My mom lives here and he will be coming to stay part of the summer with her so will see his friend then and of course we will visit as a family also. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the transition easier for him? I am a afraid if he goes with a negative attitude, thinking he won't make any friends, he won't and will be miserable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Replies (11-16):
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
We have not moved but my DD has lost many friends over the years to moves. She is now 13. We do snail mail. They love it. She mails gifts, letters etc every month. She loves to go check the mail to see if anything is coming. They text and call each other but there is something special about getting a package in the mail. Her best friend moved away 4 years ago. They have stayed in touch ever since. This holiday we drove out to see family and they were only another 3 hours away so we spent a over night with them also. It was great.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM
We moved my 13 year old DD last summer after living in the same house for 12 years, it was tough. Honestly she was devastated leaving her friends and esp her best friend of 10 years. Get him involved in activities. My DD tried out for a soccer team here right away so in the summer she had some girls to establish a friendship with. The first day of school was tough, she walked into a middle school of 700 knowing no one. She has since school started made some nice friends. Playing on the school volleyball team seemed to really help her get to know new girls. Best of luck, its def in the beginning a one step forward 2 steps back thing. She still misses her other friends but keeps in contact by SKYPE, fb and lots of texts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babyblue3421
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM
We just moved too, My 13 yo DD hated me when I told her. Didn't talk to me for a week or so. Everytime I mentioned it she broke down and ran to her room crying. After the first day at her new school, she told me she only wanted to go back and visit. She adjusted very well!! And yes I agree Facebook has been a life saver in this situation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shorestamper
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the input. He does have facebook and we downloaded skype over Christmas. He also has a cell phone so can text his friends. I love the idea of snail mail also so I think I'm going to go find him an address book tonight so he can start getting addresses now. I'm definitly going to encourage him to join atleast one club or sport when we get there.

redsoxchick77
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Hello, I'm in a similar situation now.  How are things with the move?  How is your son?  I am being a single mom and being presented with an offer to get a much better, higher paying job, than I have now but it would require me to move.  Just curious how it's been for you.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Quoting shorestamper:

Thanks for all the input. He does have facebook and we downloaded skype over Christmas. He also has a cell phone so can text his friends. I love the idea of snail mail also so I think I'm going to go find him an address book tonight so he can start getting addresses now. I'm definitly going to encourage him to join atleast one club or sport when we get there.

I think what you're doing already is great.

Good luck with the move. We did a cross country move when my son was 5, almost 6, and it was still stressful for him. But today, he's greatful that we moved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)