Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you have a teen who doesn't socialize?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM
  • 28 Replies

He socializes plenty at school.  Well I would think so because when we go out he always sees someone he knows.  Or rather they see him and say hello.  He just doesn't socialize outside of school.  He doesn't call, text, facebook, or hang out with anyone!  He doesn't have a computer in his room or watch a lot of tv.  Should I push him to go out with friends?  I feel that if he goes out now with friends he will understand better how to conduct himself through trial and error.  I'm willing to drive him to the mall with his friends, or movies, or bowling or something AND I'm willing to pay.  He just doesn't seem to have an interest.

by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I would offer it up to him. Then let him go from there. There are just some loner type people that are happy being alone. maybe your son is one of them.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

JC2223
by Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

How old and what grade is your son? Does he participate in extra curricular activities?

starlight1968
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

my dd is the same way.  I figure she will connect with others eventually and I'll wish for these solitary days again LOL...

cege
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I have a 14 year old son who often prefers to do his own thing on weekends after he's had a practice or game and an older daughter who is never home because she socializes so much.  My son does see friends outside of school at his sports activities and JROTC drill team and colorguard practices.  He and his friends will sometimes walk to a nearby fast food place and get a meal after practices or will meet up to go to a varsity game (football, basketball, etc.) and a few times a year they might go to a movie or a paintball park but that's about the extent of it.  He rarely calls or texts anyone and isn't allowed to have Facebook yet. My son has a group of friends he has lunch with every day, seems happy,  and is very busy because of his different activities so I'm not worried about him.  Is your son involved in any clubs or sports?  Does he seem content to be a homebody?   I think some kids are just more introvertedthan others. My son likes being around friends but thinks it's boring to just "hang out" at the mall or somebody's house.  I have several friends who have teens that our similar to ours so I don't think it's that uncommon. 

2teens2LOs
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

nope, dont push him, imo-

I have one who has a handful of friends, one who has many, both very different kids-

its not a bad thing that he doesn't do social media, in fact its great, as long as he does activities at home even if alone, let it be...

leelee1029
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 15. Has never had any friends outside of school and doesn't seem to want any. I've had him evaluated and the doctor says he's fine. My son can't stand drama or alot of fuss. I guess he gets enough of it at school that he's fine with nothing at home. Lol. Makes it pleasant at home I must say. He reads most of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Have you had him evaluated for depression? Is there any chance he is being bullied?

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jan. 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I think its prob quite normal he may just be an introvert? My DH is perfectly happy being home and has a few close friends but always says he's just wired to truly enjoy alone time. I wouldn't worry if he seems happy and fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

He's 15 and in the 9th grade.  No he does not participate in extra curriculars.  He used to play baseball and all the kids were great to him but he didn't hang out with them either.

Quoting JC2223:

How old and what grade is your son? Does he participate in extra curricular activities?

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jan. 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Sounds like mine :)

Quoting leelee1029:

My son is 15. Has never had any friends outside of school and doesn't seem to want any. I've had him evaluated and the doctor says he's fine. My son can't stand drama or alot of fuss. I guess he gets enough of it at school that he's fine with nothing at home. Lol. Makes it pleasant at home I must say. He reads most of the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)