Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Boys obsessed with My Little Pony-Bronies?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 2:31 AM
  • 121 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think it's ok for a teenaged boy to be a brony?

Options:

Yes

No

It depends.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 95

View Results

Hi everyone. I need your help. I have 2 SS 14 and 12...and my DH and I have 3 ds, 10, 8, 2. Well, 2SS are obsessed with my little pony... To the point of being self appointed members of Bronies-brothers for Ponies. Now, maybe I'm just being closed minded here, but this feels off kilter to me. It's one thing to like it....but to watch hours and hours and reruns....to spend $50 on iTunes for the season . I suppose it's better than drugs and alcohol, but I can't help but wonder-what is going on with them psychologically or perhaps issues with their identity. I'm told that their older cousins are into it.....but like I said.... I understand liking the show....but to buy the figurines? I mean, it's hard because these boys come and influence my own boys. But then the other mom is supporting it by buying these boys My Little Pony T-shirts! It's not like they are wearing a Mario or star wars shirt where they are a fan and expressing their alligience....it's more of a get in the roof tops and screaming, I'm a bronie and I'm proud. Maybe it gives them a sense of belonging? While I think these kids involvement is somewhat innocent....I am concerned about the grown men that could be preying on these teen boys too. Seems their mother hadn't thought of any if this. I told my boys that they can watch it if they want to...but we aren't going to run around loudly attesting our faith to the bronies as we would not do that with starwars either. But I see that since the SSs have been here this weekend that I am going to have to block you tube.

This bronie passion has been going on since before Christmas. DH says that this will be a fad and that we'll look back and tease them about how stupid it was one day. I suppose. I know that I would like to keep them from getting bullied for it or being bullies defending it.

What I wish is that DH would tell ex that the bronies and their parafanalia stays home when they come over here.....and that it's an identity/cultish thing that we prefer not to introduce to their younger 1/2 brothers unnecessarily. But he won't. He says talking to her is like talking to a brick wall and everything becomes his fault (even after all these years!). She has dated many men trying to find a husband and has failed....so she just does this uninvolved parenting style. And they just do their thing.

I don't know why it's making me so uncomfortable.... I mean, I have dealt with these boys bringing M games into my house, cursing, uncontrolled behavior, disrespect, and more. I guess what I'm most afraid of my kids embrace this and I don't get them the t shirts..of having to be put in a situation to take a stand. But what if I'm wrong and don't support it? Just feeling darned if I do, darned if I don't.

Ok, well sorry for the scattered post here....hopefully I'm clearly expressed my utter confusion on the situation! I look forward to your thoughts.
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shelleyragsdale
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:01 AM

I dont understand what this is exactlly.What is a bronie, is this that old cartoon you are talking about?  Forgive my ignorance I must be out of the loop???

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM
I must be out of loop too, lol is it like My Little Pony?

Quoting shelleyragsdale:

I dont understand what this is exactlly.What is a bronie, is this that old cartoon you are talking about?  Forgive my ignorance I must be out of the loop???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YaHuWaHismyall
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I'm with the other ladies, idk, what it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM
6 moms liked this
bronies is brothers for ponies.
I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Just another fad kids get into for shock value. This too shall pass!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofne
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

So is the show called Bronies? I'm confused too.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Just another fad kids get into for shock value. This too shall pass!

mommyakabooby
by Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM
No, it's the same show. It's just boys who like My Little Pony.

Quoting momofne:

So is the show called Bronies? I'm confused too.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofne
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Oh I know both my boys went through the powerpuff girls,yugio,picahu phase but I think that ended pretty much when they got into middle school. I do think it's kinda weird for that age but if it didn't go to an extreme then I guess it would be okay. After looking at some stuff on youtube it seems like it's not really about watching the show it's more like maybe a rebellious joke thing IMO. Considering the pics with captions etc.

celebratJmom
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Bronies are a cultish type of group for Teen Boys and Adult men that have gathered together to publically profess their adoring of My Little Pony....yes, the program that is targeted to little girls.  The opposing group of people that are against this are calling these men and boys gay, pedophiles, trolls, etc.   But these boys pridefully wear their pink ponies on their shirts.  I mean, I get there is a group that they'd like to belong to....I don't think there is anything wrong with watching the show....but I do think thre is something wrong with their mom buying them the shirts to declare this underground membership to the world.....putting them in a postion to get beat up after school.....and I do think there is something wrong with them aggressively defending their postion.  And with their Mom's support they are even stronger about it.    Yes, it's a fad....and if they didn't have to come here every weekend and push their fad and their belief system on my little boys...I wouldn't care.....it's just difficult to manage.  In their town....maybe there's enough of them and it's an accepted group.  In my town, we wear school uniforms to avoid any type of grouping (which of course happens anyway).  Does this make more sense now?  I'm sorry....It's just been in my face all weekend here and it's sad, but I can't wait until they go home!  

SugarrCane
by Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

No, that's extremely strange...

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
It's extremely weird to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)