Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting with social networks

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 20 Replies
Do you set limits on how much time your teenager spends on their phone/computer? It seems like they are always connected!! We have our daughter turn in her phone at 10:30 pm on school nights and also during homework time. One weekend we grounded her from computer and phone and she was soooo productive! It made me question if I should put a greater restriction on it (for example she could have her phone only 2 hours a day) so we can visit with her more and so she will be more productive!!
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Nothing on school nights usually.  Weekends I don't care. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM
I'm thinking she may have been more productive so she could get it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

dh has our dd's computer on restricted hours via the modem.  She doesn't watch much tv and her video games are in the living room so she is limited on that too as my desk/the main tv are in there.

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Both of my kids have had a fb for years. It has never been an issue since both have always kept up their grades and seem more interested in sports and other activities outside the home. If ever given a reason to worry I would talk to my kids about limits..my DD does turn her cell off at night on school nights she chided to because she is naturally a light sleeper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
My sons didn't have phones until they were 16. Phones were put in the kitchen at 9 pm on school nights. They were boy brought to thedinner table.weekend they were turned off by 11 pm. Same rules fot computer.//
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshineal
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM

My dd is 13. She is allowed one hour in the afternoon after homework is done on the computer. Cell phone off by 8 unless it is interfering with her taking care of her responsibilities. As long as her grades are where they are suppose to be and her responsibilities are taken care of I don't have a problem with her having those things. As for video games she has them but usually on plays them when she has company to play with her. She is involved with extracurricular activities at school and also does volunteer work one day a week.

Not_A_Native
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I've never cared.  It's how kids today communicate.  And if they want to text while doing homework (some do to do collaborative work, which is big in our high school), fine.  Same thing with fb - some of the teachers here have a separate page where kids can get help from the teacher.  And they use them for everything - calculator, alarms, what have you.

I do say no phones on at dinner - but honestly, my husband is the worst offender!

Video games aren't an issue - we have a lot, but my daughter (17) rarely plays them.  Doesn't watch much tv either.

rkoloms
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

As long as her grades stay up, we don't limit. We do monitor

blurdgqueen
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I use the Norton Online Family on my computer.  This way it tells me the sites that my daughter visits.  I did not have the time out setting locked but when I looked at what she did the night before last and found out she had gotten back onto the computer at 11 pm.  I set it up immediately.  She can only be online for 1 hour each evening Sun-Thurs and Fri n Sat 2 hours.  It collects and counts every minute she is on whether she is on 10 minutes and signs off or not..  Look it up online at norton.com.  I absolutely love it!  Now, she knows well, It said"I have 15 minutes left!"  I say,"Well make sure to use them wisely!!!"  LOL

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

No.   I never had a reason to.    My sons were responsible to managing their time, as long as their homework was done, their grades high, and their chores done.....they could text or play games all night long.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)